Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mit away quick strips  (Read 4797 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Mit away quick strips
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:34:39 pm »
Have any states registered there yet?

Offline wd

• Field Bee
Re: Mit away quick strips
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 01:16:53 am »
Last time I heard/read anything about it was on beesource. this website was given

http://miteaway.blogspot.com/2010/01/mite-away-quick-strips-update.html

http://miteaway.blogspot.com/

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 02:15:23 am »
Government (EPA or whoever) will not approve it.  They say there is enough options out there already, seriously  It will not happen soon.  Unless they figured out how to administer it without the risk of queen loss I wont use it anyway.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 12:05:54 am »
Miteaway has formic acid as mite killing stuff.
You may use mere formic acid and make you own acid pillow.
Why covernement can not accept Miteaway? - Perhaps protect US products ?
Language barrier NOT included

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:15:08 pm »
Miteaway has formic acid as mite killing stuff.
You may use mere formic acid and make you own acid pillow.
Why covernement can not accept Miteaway? - Perhaps protect US products ?
The problem here in the US is the Dept of Ag doesn't register simply a chemical used for a Pesticide.   They register the way it is applied.  Although miteaway pads can be used, the strips and home made pillows are not.  Strips will someday be here, homemade pillows never.   Companies dont spend the money to register something unless they can make money on it.  This is the reason Oxalic acid will never be legal.  I dont like the pads or pillows because of the extra equipment needed, the cost of the pads and temp contraints.  Our temp here can see 40's in the mornings and 90's by mid day.    I like the Oxalic vapor because of the cost of a couple of pennies per colony but I dont like doing the 3 application a week apart.  The quick strips although a couple of bucks a colony are just that "Quick"  No spacers, no temp changing problems and one application for only seven days

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 12:54:41 am »

Mite killer stuffs are carefully tested in Europe during 10 years. They are oxalic acid, formic acid and thymol.

Folks are playing "legal game" in their writings. There is something smell of business in that registeration. Apistan strips were quite expencive. Now oxalic is practically free. You may handle with 10 dollars 70 hives.

All are carefully examined but outhorieties continue their registeration game.
In our country lading beekeepeers are so practical that they do not even mention the legality.
They just recommend to use best choice.

And forum members are mad with their mite talkings. There is no end to wondering that bug and debating nonsence issues.  How many of you drive car like policeman says?
Language barrier NOT included

anything