Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Decontamination after cutout/removal  (Read 4044 times)

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
Decontamination after cutout/removal
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:18:25 pm »
Is there a particular chemical, procedure, etc. for "final" cleaning before re-sealing a cutout job to prevent bees and/or other invaders from being attracted to the original location?  I  know that sealing is the main goal here but I was just wodering if other methods are used as a cleanout procedure?
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Decontamination after cutout/removal
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:44:30 pm »
never really thought about it like that, I always try to seal up the holes or at least tell the owner to "be sure to seal all holes".

Wonder if you threw a couple of moth balls in there and then sealed it back up. There is not much that likes moth balls.
And it will kill honey bees, don't ask.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:56:54 pm »
No G3farms...I was thinking of something more definitive.  Moth balls are fine or a very short time plus they leave a smell that could go through the walls.  I was thinking of something more "disinfecting" if there is such a thing????
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:03:39 pm »
Try coating all surfaces comb was attached to with an oil base paint. Try to get in seams where propolis is.

Still, my vote is the bees will even smell past that, bee proofing, your best defense.

Also try filling the void space with something like insulation.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:07:44 pm »
JP...oil paint was my thought if necessary.  The insulation is a must even if the area between the studs did not have any.  I do that anyway here in New England.  I agree with you as far as bees sensing through oil base paint or whatever.  Just a thought.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:55:35 pm »
how about the spray type foam?

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 12:00:05 am »
Although that will be/is the new way to insulate homes, it is still not required by law and is too expensive.  Even going to Home Depot/Lowes and buying the cans of foam...too much on my trigger finger(s).  To someone that does routine blown-in/sprayed insulation that would not be a problem.  I would just do the glass (roll) insulation untill someone tells me otherwise.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 01:35:54 am »
Foam in a can only goes so for, fiberglass rolls are your best bet for filling voids but make sure you absolutely pack the void where bees were.

If there was a conveniant way to sandblast the surfaces that would get my vote and oil base paint and bee proofing.

If we only had sniffers like bees can you imagine what the world would smell like?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 03:36:50 am »
We are eating bee puke as it is!!!! :-D
I don't think it would be any different!? :evil:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 11:04:59 am »
I love the smell of bee puke in the morning!

...JP

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 11:47:06 am »
I love the smell of bee puke in the morning!

...JP

Yeah, me too...there is nothing like it on some fresh baked bread! Yeah, I still make homemade bread.... :-D

The spray type expanding foam works well to cover larger areas, as between studs....but be sure to caulk the little knot holes and openings! Bees will find a way in unless you use caulking! They can also eat their way in through the expanding foam to get where they want too.

If all of the extrances are full of caulk, they will leave it alone, as they cannot get in. In old structures, it can be and usually is a headache!

A friend of mine uses origional Dawn dishwashing soap mixed with water in a pump up type sprayer to wash down the honey drippings if possible. It seems to disperse the honey scent and cleans the areas pretty well. HE then sometimes puts a few drops of Bee Bee Gone in there to make sure they do not want to return.

Brenda

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 12:39:58 pm »
How about the stuff for fume boards that is "pleasant smelling" - just a mist of it?

(Brenda, I'm actually the baker in my house; my wife is a phenomenal cook, but doesn't like baking breads and such. - I love my mom's homemade bread recipe.)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 01:09:42 pm »
The most important thing is to fill the space and stop the hole.  Fiberglass insulation will do.  The expanding foam is really good.  As far as smell, bleach or pinesol seem to work.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 10:41:28 pm »
How about the stuff for fume boards that is "pleasant smelling" - just a mist of it?

(Brenda, I'm actually the baker in my house; my wife is a phenomenal cook, but doesn't like baking breads and such. - I love my mom's homemade bread recipe.)

My friend said the stinky stuff lasts longer... :roll:

(I make a mean sour dough bread!)

Brenda

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 10:43:24 am »

My friend said the stinky stuff lasts longer... :roll:

(I make a mean sour dough bread!)

Brenda
I will pm you my address so you can send me some :-D just kidding
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.