Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Combining a swarm  (Read 2074 times)

Offline banjojohn

• New Bee
Combining a swarm
« on: October 23, 2005, 05:15:26 pm »
I caught a swarm 3 weeks ago about 1/4 mile from my house. I put it in a shallow super with some drawn comb untill I could decide what to do with them. My 5 hives were all in good shape. I put in the meds (apistan and menthol crystals) about 4 weeks ago in the 5. I thought they were all in good shape, all had eggs,etc. I remembered later I did not check the last one for eggs, but it had a lot of capped brood, so I guess I just didn't look close enough. I thought I would take a frame or 2 of brood out of that one and see if I could winter that little swarm. The last hive ,they had none, no eggs, larvae, capped, nothing but adults. They had plenty of honey and mature bees, but I couldn't find the queen, or  laying worker, just empty cells or honey. I thought I would just graft that swarm onto them. The little swarm had a good queen, she had half filled that shallow in 2 wks. I had a double screen divider, so I put them over the queenless hive for a couple days.(gave them a little top entrance). The third day I took the screen out and put that super down next to the brood part. The one on top was solid honey. There was an immediate massacre. Within a couple hours there was a pile of dead bees out front  . I will go in , in a couple days, to see but they probably killed the queen, too.    Now what all did I do wrong? Could I get a queen and try again or is it too late?  Thanks ahead for any input.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Combining a swarm
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 09:25:53 pm »
Even if I use a double screen I do a newspaper combine.  Sometimes they still get violent with a newspaper combine, especially this time of year with no flow.

Mine haven't had any brood in them for a month now.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline banjojohn

• New Bee
Swarm combine
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:21:11 am »
Thanks Michael, We have had above average temps. (80day, 50night)and the other 4 still had a lot of brood,eggs. Would it have been better to have left that super on top and is it to late to requeen?

anything