Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wierd queen  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
wierd queen
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:38:48 pm »
I dont want to start a thread on this but here it goes.

I had a hive build swarm cells hotdog free queens.

Well I was sticking them in any removal or hive I thought might need one and I cut that hive into 5 nuks hard times for a 10 frame hive lol

While doing this I found one of the queens I knew right away she was a queen so I dont think I am blind

I had a hive I questioned if they have a queen so I had seen the German videos where the keeper cut open a ripe cell and lets the queen go in

I thought I will try I cut it open darn if a bee didnt walk out hot dog first time I have seen this now but it looked just like a bee I mean I could tell no difference at all no back dot nothing just like all her sisters I swear anyone ever seen this was she even a queen

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: wierd queen
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:43:51 am »
A newly emerged queen can be almost transparent and is fuzzy.  It's the retinue who groom her constantly who are responsible for the lack of fuzz on her thorax and laying eggs that is responsible for the lack of fuzz on her abdomen and maturing (hardening) that makes her more solid in color.  In few days you won't recognize her as the same queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:22:28 am »
I never knew it was the workers that kept her back hairless makes perfect sense.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:04:49 am »
Why would you want to cut her out before she is ready?  Did the German video suggest some advantage?
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:21:58 am »
it was old beekeeping style that is no longer used the keeper was destroying all the swarm cells left in the hive and released one to make sure the hive was queen right it was on skep hives so he could not check.

I did just to try and if you ever cut open swarm cells you will know that some dont take. I had a hive I thought needed a queen so I just got one out and dropped her on the frame one bee jumped her but then let go I hope that next week they will have eggs.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 12:39:54 pm »
I've had that happen as well a few times.  Grafted queen cells, the cells take.  They are long and look normal.  I dispose of any that are too long, too short , or not quite right looking.  I pull them and put them in protective cages for emerging.  I come back a week later and there's a worker bee in one of the cells.  No way for it to get in there accidentally and the queen cell is opened properly.  I've also had them unable to get out of the queen cells and die.  Rarely when I open the cell there's a dead worker.  No doubt they were dead workers.  Even a dried out dead queen still has a longer abdomen with the ring and peaked crown on the thorax.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...