Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wintering in the Great White North  (Read 2391 times)

Offline binglis

• New Bee
Wintering in the Great White North
« on: September 13, 2008, 08:05:34 am »
I have a very weak hive I would like to combine with a strong hive...
I live in Southern Ontario, Canada, near Toronto, so the winters can be harsh...
What is the preferred way for comining hives?
Do I need to remove all the bees from the 'top' deep, of the hive I will be moving?
What is the best time of day?
All comments arre most welcome...
Regards,
binglis

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Re: Wintering in the Great White North
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:42:15 am »
Suggest you get a local to help.
If you are moving 1 hive to the others location be sure to leave a box to collect straglers for a few days. If you have other hives you also might want to reduce the opening or even close it for a day to prevent robbing.

I'll defer to the experts on the proper way to combine, I buchered my first combine. In spite of my efforts they survived. Just beginners luck.
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 10:37:14 am »
I am combining two hives as well and look forward to hearing how your efforts turn out.  I have two posts in the past couple of weeks where the forum has given me good advice on which queen to keep and how to do the newspaper.  I hope they are helpful.
Brian

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 11:00:06 am »
I usually take newspaper and lay it on top of the frames of the hive on the bottom, then place some slits in it with a hive tool. Then place your other hive body (I put the weak one on top) on top of the newspaper and then put the top back on. I don't recommend putting them together without the newspaper but I sometimes do and just smoke both hives heavily. Good luck and it is good to hear from you again.

Offline trixyb

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 01:40:31 pm »
You could also take some sugar syrup in a spray bottle and mix in vanilla extract.  Spray this on the frames and bees you are combing.  The spray covers up the scent of the hive, and by the time the scent wears off all the bees should be friends.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 04:39:26 pm »
dont forget to have an opening  for both top and bottom hive body, so bees can come and go. I would also highly suggest you look at www.bushfarms.com for great info on splitiing and of course recombining. Awesome site w/ loads of info.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 06:02:42 am »
You could also take some sugar syrup in a spray bottle and mix in vanilla extract.  Spray this on the frames and bees you are combing.  The spray covers up the scent of the hive, and by the time the scent wears off all the bees should be friends.
I'll have to remember this one.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

anything