Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Today's cut out  (Read 5602 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Today's cut out
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 06:26:03 pm »
I opened the hive today and found two frames of bees. Lifted the busiest one and found a beautiful queen. I think I will use them to populate my new observation hive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 07:43:53 pm »
Wow, that's just fantastic it worked out like that Iddee.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 05:25:09 pm »
I had a change of plans. It was sunny and warm today, giving me a chance to exchange the boxes on the trap out, since the first one was nearly full. The sprayed bees have made it 10 days and is queenright, but only 2 frames of bees. I decided to put it on the trap and remove the full box with two queen cells. The cells should be emerging Thur., so today would be day 12.

Some have asked me about putting a queen and a frame of bees on a trap. I have never tried it before, but will have an answer for them in a week. The trap bees may accept her and may kill her and raise their own. Either way, I should have the genetics from the sprayed cut out.

As always, when keeping bees, be ready to change plans at any given moment. They are always going to be different than you originally plan.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*