Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Adding new medium supers; current equipement: only deep supers  (Read 1550 times)

Offline mushmushi

• House Bee
Hi.

I'm currently using deep supers (brood and honey) but I want to use medium supers for the honey and possible for the brood for practical reasons.

When I add a super with unbuild comb, I usually put 2-3 build frames with bees on it however this time I cannot do that.

I am using foundationless frames nowadays (this might be irrelevant).

How do you guys and gals manage this situation ? I would like to avoid cutting the deep frames.

Perhaps if I add a frame or two with a wax foundation in the middle and hope the bees build ?  (below the full supers)

Merci

P.S. lifting the 4th or 5th deep super full of honey is very uncool.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Adding new medium supers; current equipment: only deep supers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:45:32 pm »
if i understand you correctly, you want to swap out all your equipment for mediums?

it might be a little late now but if you are going to add boxes at any time from now on, i'd put the mediums under the deeps to get them built out.  honey supers are easier.  just super with mediums.  

if you want to do it more quickly, you can cut the brood out of the deep frames and rubber band them into the medium frames.  i would only do this when a good flow is going on, or early in the spring when you are going to feed.
if you have honey in the brood boxes you can extract and feed it back.
to see how to rubber band the brood comb in, check out the cutout and removal section.  there are pictures.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Adding new medium supers; current equipement: only deep supers
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:06:14 pm »
Use the deep boxes for you brood boxes.   Start using the medium boxes or shallow boxes for honey supers.   Think about how many deeps you own now.  2 per hive.   Now how many hives can you grow into next spring?

anything