Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tweaked D.Coates Nuc Box  (Read 4978 times)

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
Tweaked D.Coates Nuc Box
« on: September 22, 2012, 12:00:12 am »
Im about to start my building again as I have queens and need nucs for them now.  Sooo, I got to tweaking on the dimensions for the D.Coates style box.  I can build 6 nucs from one sheet of plywood.  I build the lids out of 1" x 3/4" strips that are scrap from my bottom board builds.  I also use a luan type material for the lids.  Anyway, here is the layout in google sketchup on the 4x8 sheet. enjoy

http://bigthicketbees.com/?page_id=434

oh yeah cut your entrances on the bottom edge of the front panels of course hehe, and Im using 1/2" blondewood from lowes.. I like a nicer sanded finish on em.  Its 29.80 a sheet soo it comes out to 5.00 a nuc box minus the lids.

Edit: I guess this should have been in that sticky above didnt see that.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:29:22 am by duck »

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Tweaked D.Coates Nuc Box
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 01:40:24 am »
Luan doesn't last long in our weather up here.  I looked for a photo on my computer of the mess it created here, but I couldn't find it.  Problem is the stuff delaminates something awful.  I used the stuff for some of my hive/nuc entrance tunnels.  I made them 9mm wide to start with and before long the dang luan started to delaminate and closed the things down to 5mm, and less.  A good queen/drone excluder/includer!

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:11:06 pm »
yeah I used luan at first, then the lumber yard switched to a different material it is from a hardwoord and they are calling it hardwood utility panel.  I still call it luan even though it isnt.  I have been having good luck with it so far. of course I cover everything in metal.

Offline beeghost

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 12:12:38 am »
Thanks for the layout measurments duck!! Gonna build some nucs next weekend in preparation for spring splits!!
Coyote Creek Bees - Est.2011

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:05:51 am »
ripping the sheet longways for the first three cuts is the easy part!  Its the others that are tricky.. a table saw can get away from you if not careful, i speak from experience!

anything