Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I'm a bit disappointed in the new beekeeping for dummies  (Read 1320 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
I'm a bit disappointed in the new beekeeping for dummies
« on: March 27, 2009, 06:49:58 pm »
Just received my copy in the mail and I am a bit disappointed. I didn't read it very thoroughly yet, just perused the pages, but I was looking to see if he changed some things.

He never mentioned going foundationless, which I believe is very important and he never mentioned crush and strain as an alternative for the extractor. I did notice other changes and I will read the whole book before making any judgements.

Also I like John's photo better on the first book than this current photo which isn't really that exciting. John's photo is now placed in the middle of the book.

I guess he had his reasons. I wish I could write a book.

Annette

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: I'm a bit disappointed in the new beekeeping for dummies
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:10:46 pm »
annette,
I am not sure if anyone could write a book without someone finding some missed information or a disagreement.

I've had discussions about just about every book out there. As example, I'll mention Ross Conrad's book "natural beekeeping". Do I think it's odd that he goes off the deep end with sympathy in letting his queens die "naturally" even to the point that the colony dies because of his "Who am I to play God and kill a Queen" approach to bees. And yet a couple chapters later, he writes of uncapping drones to do mite counts. He gets teary eyed over a queen but will savagely rip drones out of their cells. Makes no sense to me. And I could go on and on.

No matter how many books written, there will always be something to point out. I can only assume my book would be perfect in my own mind. And although it would be the best ever written and held up as a model for all other books to be written...I'm sure someone somewhere, will have a suggestion, a gripe, or a comment.... :-D

And let me add, I think Ross' book is good. My point is that there will always be something to comments on, disagree with, or suggest a change too..
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:17:10 pm by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com