Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: possible queen sighting!  (Read 1474 times)

Offline beerookie

• New Bee
possible queen sighting!
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:31:46 am »
Hello everyone
Let me describe my situation. My hive coming out of winter was: (10 frame equip.)  Solid BB, Deep & med.
I haven't been able to do inspection due to weather & my schedule. Yesterday was 70 & no wind, but cloudy so I decided to get the hive on new SBB. My plan was to transfer to SBB in same order. When I broke it down, I noticed 2 things.
1) I have alot more bees than I thought, YAHOO!!
2) The Med. was heavier than the deep.

So I went ahead and reversed. Was that the right thing to do?
The old BB was covered with a solid mass of bees, so I set it in front of new set up so they could walk in. It worked.
There was still alot of activity at 7:00 PM so I suited back up to get the old BB. 2nd yr. beek, still chicken! :-D
I noticed bees using old BB for landing & walking into new. I almost hyper ventilated when one landed that looked like a queen. I've never seen a queen in person before, but her abdomine was about twice as long as others and she looked like all pics I've seen. She walked right in like she new where she was going. A laying queen would not be flying, correct? Should I be expecting a swarm? Should I do a split?

Help! I'm excited & also a little worried! I did put on a new deep of Waxed Rite-Cell Foundation from Mannlake on 4/18 and have been feeding 1:1. They are drawing new comb. Should I do anything else, or just let the girls do their thing?

Your thoughts and opinions are greatly respected and appreciated!! Thanks a bunch!

Sherman

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: possible queen sighting!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:44:32 am »
She walked right in like she new where she was going. a laying queen would not be flying, correct? Should I be expecting a swarm? Should I do a split?

If it was indeed a queen, she would most likely be returning from a mating flight.  Meaning either your original queen was superseded, or the hive has already swarmed.   Did you see any queen cells when you went thru the hive?

I would suggest doing a split base solely and see what you believe to be a queen entering a hive :-\
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:34:53 pm »
At 7 Pm, my thinking would be that if it was a queen, she was on the bottom board when you made the change. Yes, a mated queen can fly. Maybe not far enough to lead a swarm, but for a few feet? Definitely.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beerookie

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 12:47:42 pm »
Thanks for your input. What Iddee says is what I was thinking or hoping. But I'm thinking I should do split.

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:15:24 pm »
If you want more hives, split. If you want more honey, don't split. You didn't mention having a dozen swarm cells.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything