Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm preperation or orintation flights  (Read 899 times)

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Swarm preperation or orintation flights
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:08:15 pm »
I will recap on the origin of the hive. It came as a swarm out of the wild. Took up in an empty stack that I had not cleaned up. Two medium supers on bottom with two deeps on top. The swarm to the top deeps and entered via knot holes in the rear.

Now, they have been coming out every afternoon for about 3 weeks when weather permits.I did add another medium to the top. They cluster and cover all 5 boxes for 2 or 3 hours. I took it as orientation flights at first. I have never noticed these flights going on this big every day.

I have placed a ready deep with a medium next to it in case they do swarm, hoping they will take it. I haven't noticed any scout bees checking out my other boxes like they have done in the past.

What say ye? :) d2  AKA doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Swarm preperation or orintation flights
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 09:20:11 am »
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfaqs.htm#orientation

When bees swarm, they just swarm.  The things that would show they are about to swarm, are not what you might think.  Bearding is not a sign of an impending swarm, nor is bees flying around the hive on a warm afternoon.  When they are flying with the intent of swarming there will be no doubt of their intentions, it is a tornado of bees, not just around the hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything