Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When To check for more supers?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
When To check for more supers?
« on: March 18, 2011, 01:19:08 pm »
I put on my first super last sunday( 13th of march). These are drawn wax from my supers used for the first time last year. Right now the red buds are blooming and small wild flowers but have been told by others the main flow won't start for another month. The bees are really working hard. I'm wondering when I should check them to add another super as I want to give them plenty of room to gather alot of honey and also decrease the tendancy to swarm but, don't want to disrupt them more often than I need to. What say yal? Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: When To check for more supers?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:23:28 pm »
If you don't have SHB, add another any time you want. Two, even, if one or both are drawn comb.

If you have SHB, ignore the above and be very careful adding supers.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:48:03 pm »
What do your brood boxes look like.  How many frames are covered?

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 04:55:03 am »
I've heard there are shb in the area though they are not present in my hive. Am concerened that to many supers at once may cause them to not fill all frames in a given super. During this time of year about how long should it take them to fill a super(heavy 2 hive bodied hive). Thank's, Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 06:40:46 am »
Super need depends on colony growth too. Even if bees cannot fly, the colony expand in early summer and at least I am redy to give every week one or two supers.

If the super has evenly bees in every gap, it propably needs more space.
Put it always  between brood and honey super.  Never on top.

To prevent swarming take food frames from the brood box and give to queen room to lay.

Language barrier NOT included

anything