Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm question?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
Swarm question?
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:02:54 am »
I cleaned out my shed a few weeks ago and stacked up some supers and mediums outside. I put a bottom board under and a cover on top. ( who'd a thunk!) So it consists of 3 supers and 2 mediums. So sure enough I ended up with a swarm moving in. Should I cut the size of this hive down or leave well enough alone? Some of the frames had a little capped honey left in them. I sure would like to keep this group of bees happy in their new home. What say the brain trust of Beemaster.com?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Swarm question?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:28:26 pm »
Take a look inside and see how big they are and how much space they are occupying.  I would say they could be cut down.  At least to 3 deeps or 2 deeps and mediums.  Perhaps even more.

rob..
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Swarm question?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:01:58 am »
Take a look inside and see how big they are and how much space they are occupying.  I would say they could be cut down.  At least to 3 deeps or 2 deeps and mediums.  Perhaps even more.

rob..

My sentiments exactly.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com