Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New from Colorado  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Ryan820

• New Bee
New from Colorado
« on: April 08, 2014, 11:37:53 am »
Just joined the forum yesterday and ordered my box-o-bees last week. So happy to find a forum for beekeeping as I'm trying so hard to learn as much as possible these days before my bees arrive. I have to admit, reading through the forum is a little overwhelming. I think I probably need to ease up on it and focus on learning fundamentals since it seems beekeeping can take a different flavor depending on ones location etc.

About me: I live near Denver at 6900' feet on several acres of land. We are surrounded by ag and large properties that keep horses...so many horses... But that's about it. Not much really going on here besides what nature is growing. We do grow our own garden and during the season it's usually bursting with vegetables and flowers alike. We also have a 14 strong flock of chickens that provide both eggs and entertainment.

My wife and I have a daughter and a little dog named Lucy. Lucy could not care less about this odd white box we bought but Anna, my  daughter, loved going to "bee school" when we attended a local class that got us started. I hope to join my first bee club meeting as soon as possible.

I grew up on a farm and left it many years ago. Flew for the USAF and now working for a big us airplane manufacturer but my roots still run deep in to farming, hence the insanely huge garden, the country home , chickens running amuck and now these bees.

Anyway happy to be here and thanks for having this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline drlonzo

• House Bee
Re: New from Colorado
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:54:11 am »
Welcome to the forum Ryan..  Hope you find plenty of information here to get you going.  Lots of experienced beeks here with lots of information..

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:23:11 pm »
Welocme to the forum. Sounds like you are off to a good start.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ryan820

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:31:25 pm »
Welocme to the forum. Sounds like you are off to a good start.
Jim

Thanks!  I certainly hope so... i have weakness (strength depending on your views) of going full speed in to a new interest and this is no different.  So far I have a starter kit (it's essentially the hive box with frames, entrance reducer, bottom and top lid).  I plan on getting essentials-- like the bee suit... but thats it for now.

What would you say is a MUST have as a beginner? 

I enjoy these types of things a lot.  Although there is that uncertain and usually steep learning curve we must all endure in the beginning.  When I first began keeping a flock of chicken, I monitored them like a hawk (and I even had hawks watching like hawks.... hungry ones that wanted a free chicken dinner!).  It's actually quite exhausting but no one can accuse me of not learning new things... I'm addicting to learning. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are off to a good start.
Jim

Thanks!  I certainly hope so... i have weakness (strength depending on your views) of going full speed in to a new interest and this is no different.  So far I have a starter kit (it's essentially the hive box with frames, entrance reducer, bottom and top lid).  I plan on getting essentials-- like the bee suit... but that's it for now.

What would you say is a MUST have as a beginner? 

I enjoy these types of things a lot.  Although there is that uncertain and usually steep learning curve we must all endure in the beginning.  When I first began keeping a flock of chicken, I monitored them like a hawk (and I even had hawks watching like hawks.... hungry ones that wanted a free chicken dinner!).  It's actually quite exhausting but no one can accuse me of not learning new things... I'm addicting to learning. 

Well you are in serious trouble.  :-D
This hobby is very addicting. The reason is that there is so much to learn. the more you learn, the more you find out how much you do not know.
For starting out, you will need:
a good hive tool, bee sure it is for beekeeping, regular ones will break/bend unless they are stainless or properly tempered.
a large smoker, 10" tall. Short ones are harder to keep lit for beginners. Once you get it lit, then pack it real tight, I use pine straw. Lasts for 4-5 hours when packed tightly.
Your bee suit. If you can afford it get a vented suit. Get blue rubber gloves. Heavy leather gloves kill a lot of bees and makes for a mean hive. They get coated with defensive pheromone that you keep putting into the hive. If you can, do not wear gloves. Smoke up your hands real good.
A one handed queen catcher/marker and a hair clip queen catcher.
Lemon grass oil, one once bottle if you want to catch your own swarms.
Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 10:57:40 pm »
Welcome.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 12:21:40 pm »
Maybe beekeeping attracts our kind.  I have trouble testing the water myself before jumping in.  You need a good smoker.  I would advise paying top dollar for a 4x7" one with no guard from Dadant.  The guard just lulls me into getting careless and burning myself on the hot metal that is always available to touch with any guard. 

Get at least two hive tools of the cheaper kind.  You will lose them.  They constantly fall into an alternate space time continuum and are gone for ever.  None of the fancy hooks and squiggles really will benefit you until you get more experience.  They are fro prying apart frames and scraping the wax and glue off bee equipment and a million other things around the house and that is where I lose a lot of mine.  First thing, round off the sharp corners with a file or grinder so you don't stab youself in the back of the leg when you put it in your pocket, or lay open your off hand while scraping something.

Get a light weight bee jacket with a built in veil from Mannlake or someone else supplying them.  They are a little over $50 and with a pair of bluejeans will stop almost all bees cold.    Go to a restaurant supply and get a pair of dishwasher gloves for around six bucks.  They are beeproof and you maintain some dexterity when handling frames and tools.  The fine expensive goatskin gloves are great until they get stiff as a board with wax and propolis quite quickly. 

With that and some bees and a roll of ductape to keep the bees off your ankles you can get started.  All the information is right here or on youtube or at bushfarms.com 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 11:44:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Ryan.  Bee sides what the others have said find and join your local bee club.  Depending on how much you  swell when stung is how much protective gear you will need.  Bee gentle and the bees will act better, sometimes.  Give them a  little   smoke its not hard, and after a little you will be fine.  As Jim said, it is very addictive.  Good luck

Joe

Offline Ryan820

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 07:27:16 pm »
Hey thanks guys!  So I've already taken some of the advice and have equipped myself with some tools... Still need my smoker and my bee suit but those will be ordered soon.

Love the idea about the dish gloves... I have a supply of those and love using them for other things as well... I'll mark a pair just for the bees (just. In case I get something on them that the bees don't like or hurt the bees).

Kinda anxious for the crew to arrive. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos... I report out my findings to my own queen and princess (I'm the only boy in an otherwise very girl dominated family). Even my dog is a girl...  And now I'm adding thousands more. Lol

Nothing is blooming for us right now but the cottonwoods will be starting up soon and the wild flowers not long after. It's hard not to get caught up in the joy of spring breaking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anything