Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any Beekeepers from Kangaroo Island ?  (Read 10337 times)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Any Beekeepers from Kangaroo Island ?
« on: November 16, 2009, 07:39:22 pm »
Handling the Pure Ligurian Honey Bees ?  We like to know your thoughts on this race and life on the Island you call KI.  :) 

BeeHopper

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Re: Any Beekeepers from Kangaroo Island ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 03:04:03 am »
I too would like to know more

Mick

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:56:51 am »
Here's one website that was brought to my attention in regards to the Ligurians  :-D

http://www.users.on.net/~hogbay/index.htm

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:48:56 pm »
Very interesting BH, will have to do some more research

Mick

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:03:07 am »
Very interesting BH, will have to do some more research

Mick

It would be an Honor if you or another Beekeeping Bloke can somehow get a hold of the few on KI,  there's 2 Beekeepers in New Jersey who are facinated with the Ligurian Bees and those who are fortunate to be keeping them, it may not be a big deal to them, but it is with us, maybe they would be willing to come on Beemaster and introduce themselves ( it is possible they may be already members here or another forum, but not catching this thread ).  :-D

BH

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 10:29:25 am »
I obtained a Nuc from a KI breeder about 2 months ago. The breeder was comming over with a load of queens (240) for a commerial beek near Geelong. I tagged my Nuc order on with him. When I went down to pick it up, I chatted with the beek who received the queens.

He absolutely swears by them. He says they are the easiest to work and that they are excellent workers too. "Golden beauties"

I've not had any problems with them either, but then I've only had them a short while...

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 11:34:27 am »
I obtained a Nuc from a KI breeder about 2 months ago. The breeder was comming over with a load of queens (240) for a commerial beek near Geelong. I tagged my Nuc order on with him. When I went down to pick it up, I chatted with the beek who received the queens.

He absolutely swears by them. He says they are the easiest to work and that they are excellent workers too. "Golden beauties"

I've not had any problems with them either, but then I've only had them a short while...

Thanks, keep us posted  :-D

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 02:26:46 am »
HI all,

I've got a few of the Ligurians from Stephen on KI at the moment. I've had mixed results with them, and I can't comment on why some of them haven't performed as well, but I'm guessing its got more to do with local stresses and conditions than variations in the strain. For example, poor hive placement and exposure to disease. They also could have superseded without me noticing.

On the other hand the ones that are performing well are perfect. Very strong hives, very steady on the comb, produce well, and are very docile, even when I've thrown them around a bit for some major hive manipulation.

In conclusion, I'll be getting them again. So will some friends of mine.
Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 04:48:13 am »
hi all
      just wondering how much red tap you had to go through getting Queens to main land and the price difference to the Queens on main land.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 05:27:15 pm »
Hi Westmar,

No red tape at all getting bees from KI. As to the price, I purchased a Nuc which was dropped off on the way to deliver queens so I'm not certain as to the price of his queens, but I heard seconds hand that the queens are $30.

Phil

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 06:11:13 pm »
HI all,

I've got a few of the Ligurians from Stephen on KI at the moment. I've had mixed results with them, and I can't comment on why some of them haven't performed as well, but I'm guessing its got more to do with local stresses and conditions than variations in the strain. For example, poor hive placement and exposure to disease. They also could have superseded without me noticing.

On the other hand the ones that are performing well are perfect. Very strong hives, very steady on the comb, produce well, and are very docile, even when I've thrown them around a bit for some major hive manipulation.

In conclusion, I'll be getting them again. So will some friends of mine.

One would wonder how the Ligurians would fare outside of their island sanctuary, since the race has not been exposed to diseases for a long time  :?

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 10:38:43 pm »
hi all
      sent email yesterday over to kangaroo island about queens.that good no bull cr--- getting them over.it probably be next season i would try get some.we had 40ml rain her .the bloom on the coolibar is on the ground this happend last year to me .ended up feeding

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 09:07:43 am »

One would wonder how the Ligurians would fare outside of their island sanctuary, since the race has not been exposed to diseases for a long time  :?

All good so far. However, they haven't been under any stress; a variety of pollen and nectar have been pouring in for a good three months now. Frequent rain to keep things flowering. Stringy barks are starting to flower so don't want rain again until they've finished!

I'm thinking about grafting from my best hive, but I have a lot of hives that have undesirable characteristics so I don't want drones from those hives mating with my new virgins, so maybe I'll buy all my queens this year. Maybe half half, we'll see.

Its supposed to be over 40 tomorrow (> 105 F), so hope I don't have any melt downs and hope things don't start catching on fire again....

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 09:35:42 am »

All good so far. However, they haven't been under any stress; a variety of pollen and nectar have been pouring in for a good three months now. Frequent rain to keep things flowering. Stringy barks are starting to flower so don't want rain again until they've finished!

I'm thinking about grafting from my best hive, but I have a lot of hives that have undesirable characteristics so I don't want drones from those hives mating with my new virgins, so maybe I'll buy all my queens this year. Maybe half half, we'll see.

Its supposed to be over 40 tomorrow (> 105 F), so hope I don't have any melt downs and hope things don't start catching on fire again....

That's good to hear  :-D

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 10:00:38 pm »
hi  all
        i got a reply on the email i sent to kangaroo island.the people on the link couldn't help me .they did give me another address to try.i send a email of to day see what the go is.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 02:50:37 am »
Hi Westmar,

I had an email address for a breeder on KI that I got a Nuc off earlier this season. I ended up having to deal with him by phone as he was having problems with bigpond. When I get a moment I will dig out his phone number and send it to you.

Phil

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 10:05:03 pm »
hi
    phillinacoma
                       thanks for  that ,hey can you keep us informed on how they are going from time to time

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 04:37:28 am »
I wonder if they can cope with the Queensland summers

Slicko

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 07:44:13 am »
I wonder if they can cope with the Queensland summers

Slicko

I'd look at queen bread closer to home, Dewar's or Weatherhead's are both held in high esteem in the industry.

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 07:45:09 am »
Oh yeah, brood shot from my best KI queen hive: