Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: considering Top bar beekeeping  (Read 3833 times)

Offline lefluers

• New Bee
considering Top bar beekeeping
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:11:33 am »
I have a question.  Is there a style of TB hive that is best for the south.  I have seen many types. 
Anyone out there live in NC or nearby who has had success to share with me.
thanks.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: considering Top bar beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:58:16 am »
They all do fine.  All are in use around the world in many climates.  My only concern would be comb collapse and for that I would go with a comb that isn't too deep and/or has sloped sides to reduce the stress on the comb where it's attached to the bar.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:34:08 pm »
We've got 20 Langs and two Long Hives.  Love them all.
Got our first TBH in the shop painting it today.  Looking forward to getting some Bees in it asap. :)

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:52:56 pm »
 Knowing what I know now I would make a tanzanian style thats the one that has straight sides rather than angles sides and I would make them fit langstroth frames deeps preferably. That way if I had a weak colony it would be easy to boost it with a frame of brood from langs if you have them. But also since TBHs are not common you could easily start a new hive buy buying a nuke and a nuke as a rule is stronger than a package. And in a short period you could work the frames out by placing empty bars in between the frames till they were on the out sideof the brood nest then they fill them with honey.  I like the looks of the kenyan hive to me it's more pleasing to the eye and I own a few but the tanzanian hive offers a few more advantages. It's even a little easier to build since it is all staight cuts. But the ability to switch back and forth between equipment is a real plus. In beekeeping uniformity is a real pluse and cheaper to since you can use what you have laying around since it is all the same size. 

Offline lefluers

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 04:09:44 pm »
great ideas thanks.  The idea of uniformity is wonderful, because I have langs. hive bodies and frames.

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:06:51 am »
I have a question.  Is there a style of TB hive that is best for the south.  I have seen many types. 
Anyone out there live in NC or nearby who has had success to share with me.
thanks.

You should contact Ricky Barbour about TBHs. I hear that he has lots of experience with them.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.