Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many are buying bees?  (Read 5275 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
How many are buying bees?
« on: February 10, 2015, 05:32:40 pm »
This question is a spin-off of the post "where do you buy your packages"

But this question is for people that already have bees.
So, how many beeks are still buying bees, whether nuc or packages and how many each year?

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: How many are buying bees?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 06:34:43 pm »
It's still early but this may be the first year I don't buy bees in 9 years.  Ironically, I may have to sell some of my nucs off if my good luck continues.  Feast or famine, I bought 8 nucs and 8 packages last year to increase my overall hives numbers and as replacement bees last year.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline kingd

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:42:43 pm »
I am most likely buying 4 to 6 local nucs from a friend and also getting a couple of Russian queens to play with on top of that.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:10:45 pm »
I'm buying (and paid for) 5 California packages and one Georgia package.  I might pick up another package or two if I get a good deal.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 09:15:38 pm »
I ordered 50 nucs.

Offline kingd

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 06:20:45 am »
  I might pick up another package or two if I get a good deal.

That is why I'm buying nucs from a friend, It is looking like he is going to have too many bees this year,I wish I had his problem.

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 07:44:23 pm »
This is my forth year of bee sustainability .So glad to never have to buy bee's again.
I say it should be a goal never to buy bee's after the 2nd year of bee keeping. But that's just my way of thinking.
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 08:00:35 pm »
Glock, I agree with you. I am creeping toward the same goal as you. Queen castles, comb builders, nucs, and selected queens are my goal. aka bee self sustainability.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline CBT

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 08:17:35 pm »
Never say never in the bee business. :cheesy:

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 12:27:11 am »
This is my second winter, an I had bees make it thru my first. One out of 2, this year I still have 5 out of seven at the moment..... fingers crossed. I think everyone would like to be purchase free, like Glock said, however, until I get built up to the numbers I want i will have to add stock again this year. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 07:09:13 am »
Being smack dab in the middle of corn, soybean, and pastures that are regularly treated for one thing or another, combined with long cold winters, losses can and have run on the high side.
 So for someone like me, trying to produce an annual honey crop, I always have to have some on order for spring. Worse that can happen is just what I want. More Bees!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 12:01:11 pm »
I think this is my fifth year, I bought three established hive to start with, have only bought  a couple of Queens since then.

Good luck to you all

Joe

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 12:23:34 pm »
This is my 6th year. I bought 2 nucs my first year and a queen for one of my hives the following spring that I probably did not need. I have not bought any bees since, knock on wood.
That said, I have lost 3 hives within the last 4 weeks. Looks like CCD, no bees and plenty of food in hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CBT

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 09:24:51 pm »
Hang in there Jim spring is not here yet.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 09:59:59 pm »
Good luck Jim, I still had 5 of 7 at last count. Im worried this deep freeze may not be good if the smaller clusters got the impression they could boost brood production after last weeks mild weather. Might spread em too thin. I hope not, only time will tell. I was glad to see em all kickin last sunday and 70. Now, teens at night for at least a week. Fingers crossed. Good Luck. G

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 07:22:27 pm »
Thanks BG and CBT,
I will keep an eye on them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 07:32:26 pm »
I still have 6 weeks till things start to warm up.
Lost only 1 hive since 3/14 things are humming away.

31 total.
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 09:07:21 pm »
Heading in to year two and do not plan to buy any bees.  Started with eight singles last Summer and still had nine doubles, five singles and a five frame nuc when I was last able to peek in late January. 

Having said that, temperatures have not gone above -2 C since before the beginning of February and there have been a lot days were it did not get to -8 C.  Lows have all except one day been below -15 C and Mother Nature seems a little partial to lows of less than -20 C for the past couple of weeks, or so, and the coming week as well.  All hives have fondant so only not being able to get to food, as opposed to running out of it, is my major worry.  Nevertheless, as long as my worst case scenario is ending up with only as many bees as I started with a year ago, I will be good to go.
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014.
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 12:02:57 am »
Love that yard Glock. Good luck, and keep doing whatever you are doing cause its working better each year. G

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 07:36:14 am »
I bought my very first hive.  In 5 years, those are the only bees I bought.  It is too much fun and educational to buy something, I can get for free.  By the way, I subscribe to the "mutt/survivor bees" mentality.  It works for me.

anything