Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: If you have different bees,what differances do you see in them ?  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
If you have different bees,what differances do you see in them ?
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:45:23 am »
If you have more then one breed of bees,what differances do you see in them ? What breed does what ? We have one hive of hybrid of some kind,I can't ever remember what they are crossed with,as soon as I find out I will post the differance between them and my Cordovan Italian.

Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: If you have different bees,what differances do you see in them ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 11:32:53 am »
You don't need different breeds to see drastic differences in hives.  So just because you do see differences in breeds,  doesn't mean it is a breed trait.  Especially when you only have a few hives of a given breed.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 12:54:54 pm »
You don't need different breeds to see drastic differences in hives.  So just because you do see differences in breeds,  doesn't mean it is a breed trait.  Especially when you only have a few hives of a given breed.

See,I don't agree that different bees don't have different traits. Fact is some breeds of bees are more aggressive then others,some stand cold weather better. My bees,the Cordovan Italian when they come back to the hive with pollen, they fly around the front like they can't get their landing gear down. The Hybrids,they cruise right in the entrance.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 01:04:11 pm »
Rob didn't say that there aren't definite differences between breeds.  What I understood him to say is that if you have a small number of hives you can't assume what you are seeing is a breed trait.  As an example, you say that
My bees,the Cordovan Italian when they come back to the hive with pollen, they fly around the front like they can't get their landing gear down.
  A good observation about your hives, but it may or MAY NOT be a breed trait.

...Tim

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 01:06:39 pm »
See,I don't agree that different bees don't have different traits.

That is not what I said.   My point was that there is great variations in what you observe within a given strain,  so just because you have two different strains of bees does not mean you can blindly attribute a trait to the strain.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 01:15:08 pm »
Well what ever,OK people if you have two hives,even the same breed,tell us if their the same or different breeds,tell us what they do different.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 01:30:01 pm »
Here is my overblown take on this...... ;)

On a scale of one to ten, ten being best, and one being worst, I rate the following....

Please keep in mind that I'm not suggesting anything is a one or a ten, I'm just setting the outer parameters.

Italians   Mite resistance 1
             Honey production 10

Russians  Mite resistance  10
              Honey production 1

For the discussions of mite resistance and honey production, that would be the two bench marks to then plug in other breeds.

I am very partial to carni lines. I think the carni are not as good as italians in honey, but rank maybe an 8. They are not as good as russians in regards to mites but come close with an 8. So you get a well rounded bee with the best of both worlds combined. Most of my stock now is either russian/carni or a hybrid between them, making a very good line.

I have mentioned many times the difference between russians and carni's are small. It's like saying "What is the difference between a yellow lab and a golden retriever?" Both are about the same size, great with kids, etc. For many, if you like goldens you probably would be happy with lab. But the pure russians, are finicky in some ways. It is hard to clearly explain. Maybe the way they act, or other small things. But I just favor the carni if given a choice. Although I'm breeding a hybrid for the individual traits I want between the two.

But do not get too bogged down in just defining the bees lines. What the breeder is doing in selection, perpetuation of a line hardy to the region (acclimatized bees) is also important, as well as other factors.

For those in the south, those who are migratory beekeepers, or those who are going to treat anyways...then all this may not be important. But for northern beekeepers with harsh winters, those going chemical/treatment free, then starting with the best gentics and perpetuating a line from a good starting point is a good approach.

Just remember, you should know your breeder as well as you know what line your bees are.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 07:48:54 pm »
My Cordovan Italian,You know how bees slow down in mid day on collecting pollen and nectar,well my cordovan slow down about 2-3 hrs.sooner then my Hybrids,

Offline Jack

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 08:31:15 pm »
My Italians got to get to the club mid day for a few hands of cards and to catch up on soccer games.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 08:46:13 pm »
Our Hybrid  is,
The “Smart” strains are crosses between the SMR strain and other stocks, such as Italian, Russian, and Carniolan.

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 03:44:23 am »
Can't comment to much about different bee breeds because my hives are all mutts. That being said there is a lot of difference between them as far as honey production, aggressiveness,  build up, tolerance for beetles etc.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 01:11:51 pm »
Over the years I would say I have seen huge variation in different hives even of the same breeds. In general I find:

Italians:
calm, good honey production

Russians:
slow buildup, smaller colonies

MH-Italian:
decent buildup, strong colonies

Feral mutts:
great workers, mean as h***

These are just my opinions though and they don't really prove anything.

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 03:50:21 pm »
Can't comment to much about different bee breeds because my hives are all mutts. That being said there is a lot of difference between them as far as honey production, aggressiveness,  build up, tolerance for beetles etc.

Hi, What do they look like ? here are some links with good pictures of different breeds.

http://www.cedarglenbees.com/products.asp?cat=16

http://www.koehnen.com/queens.html

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 10:51:38 pm »

I started with Russians and found them to be aggressive, I requeened two hives with Russians from a certified breeder in N. Carolina and they were not much better. Now, willing to concede that that is probably a coincidence, and have heard people say that Russians are no more aggressive than other breeds.  But until you have worked a really hot hive you don't realize how unpleasant beekeeping can be. This year I have 2 Italian, one buckfast and one I captured in a swarm trap and none are any problem to work with. Just my 2 cents

David

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 02:42:54 pm »
Here are my observations-
3 new packages started this spring

Italian- Gentle 7/10
           Honey 9/10
           Mite resistance 5/10
           Build up 10/10
           swarminess 3/10

Carie-  Gentle 9/10
           Honey 8/10
           Mite resistance 6/10
           Build up 9/10
           swarminess 6/10

Russian- Gentle 4/10
            Honey 4/10
            Mite resistance 9/10
            Build up 5/10 (but started late)
            Swarminess 8/10

From my perspective, the italians have been the "easiest" with Carnies coming in close behind.  I am leaving an extra super on the italians for winter, because I am afraid they will burn thru all their stores.  They are just FULL of bees.  The carnies have been really great, but as is their nature, needing more "playing" to keep from wanting to swarm at end of summer.  Russians, well, they came late, which probably has a lot to do with things, definately a little more grumpy..not "hot" just needed alittle more smoke & more prone to sting, but built up much slower in comparison, did not make much honey, even for themselves, and had swarm cells present a lot.  They didn't swarm, but would make cells, tear them down, I don't know..hard to tell what these bees were going to do.  We will see how the Italians overwiner here.  I have heard that most people do better with Carnies, and when I used to help out a neighbor growing up- I believe that is what he had as well.  Next year I am going to raise some queens in nucs & see what happens.  Then they will all be mutts.  It will either give me some really great bees, hopefully positive traits, or really mean ones, I guess.  I am just playing around for fun, so I am curious to see what happens with my "mix" of uncontrolled genetics.  Oh, well...gotta keep dreamin' !!   :)
Sleep is overrated!

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 03:02:05 pm »
I have nursed

german black/ mongrels 15 years (nothing good to mention)
Kaukasian 10 years  (small yields)
Carniolan 10 years (swarmy)
Elgon 5 years (bad crossings)
Italians, many strains  30 years
Buckfast,  some years

Difficult is that when they cross, they get nasty habits like in nature: sting and swarming.

Swarming means that you loose the yield, or at least the hive is badly disturbed long time.

I prefer big size Italians

Language barrier NOT included

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 05:13:00 pm »
     My bees started as Itailians but the person I got them from believes in open breeding them.
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1885/hpim1622.jpg
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything