How many pounds of honey do get per hive on average

50-75lbs
7 (46.7%)
75-100lbs
4 (26.7%)
100-125lbs
4 (26.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Pounds of Honey Per Hive  (Read 36935 times)

Offline Bee Boy

• House Bee
Pounds of Honey Per Hive
« on: May 24, 2004, 02:18:28 pm »
On Average how many pounds of honey do you get per hive?
Bee Boy

Offline Blackbird

• House Bee
Pounds of Honey Per Hive
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 07:11:42 pm »
You might want to offer some higher numbers there. I've heard of hives giving 250 lbs.+ and the one time world record in 1975 ( which was set just about three blocks from where I live now ) Yeilded 405 lbs. I believe that record has been broken though.

Stacie

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
Pounds of Honey Per Hive
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 01:49:52 am »
That's a tough question for me. This is only my first year, so I don't have the experience to draw on. But SO FAR this year, I've harvested 60 or more pounds, and we're just getting into summer. I'm hoping for a minimum of 150-200 pounds for the year from one of my hives. But I already know the other one won't do as well as that - maybe half that.

Beth

Anonymous

Pounds of Honey Per Hive
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 03:02:31 am »
So far this year I've gotten 85 pounds from my two established hives, but since I don't use queen excluders I've got brood in the bottom of some of my super frames and I'm waiting until they hatch out before I remove the rest of the honey.

Offline TwoBigCats

• New Bee
    • TwoBigCats
Re: Pounds of Honey Per Hive
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 11:25:06 pm »
folks,

i was doing some snooping around trying to determine the # of lbs of honey to a gallon (seems that 12 lb = 1 gallon) and came across this thread.  i would be interested in seeing what the current generation of beeks have to say in their poll results.

hal

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 12:04:08 am »
A pint holds 20 to 22= oz's by weight not fluid measure of honey, depending on ho
full you fill the jar. How many pints are in a gallon?
Honey is measured by weight and not fluid measure.

This question cannot be correctly answered for a constant average.
You can have 4 colonies that are close to equal in bees and the production will vary widely.
Too many other things can make difference, year after year.

One of the books will tell you if you get an average of "30 lbs" per colony
you are doing good. Yes, I had a colony that produced around 180 to 200 lbs. One deep and three mediums. so if I throw the other three in there that I did not get any honey from, where does my average stand? you do the math.
How much can a colony produce, or, what was your highest  yield for any one colony?
If you have 10 colonies and you get 50 pounds from "each" colony,
you have done exceptionally well and a lot of beekers wish they could do that.

Sorry but that is the way I have experienced it for the 10 years I have been keeping bees.
Too many variables. doak

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 05:59:51 pm »
     Has varied over the last four years (this being the fourth).  The lowest was unable to pull without them starving in winter to 120 lbs on two established hives.  I am not counting new hives since I don't pull from them since the year I started when I pulled a couple frames.  This year's tally is not in yet since they are still working clover, blackeyes susan, coneflower, acaisia trees and others. 
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 06:10:05 pm »
By the way, the colony I got the one deep and 3 mediums from was the swarm I got that year during
Easter week. That was the swarm I had to use two deeps and two mediums to hive it.
doak

Offline Chick

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 10:33:29 am »
Not sure of weight, but in the past, I would get 3 gallons out of a medium super, and always got 2 to 3 supers per hive. One super calculates to 32 lbs, at 12 fluid oz = 1 lb. You better check my math

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 10:57:33 am »
The supers are just about full on 3 of my big hives. I expect 240 pounds easy out of those.  If the fall flow is good, I'll get an additional 240 out of those as well.  So...480 per hive per year on average if things are normal.  2 years ago I had 4 harvests at 960 per hive during that year times 8 hives.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 04:35:15 pm »
Holy schneikes!!!  I almost hope to be nowhere near that level.  I am in no way prepared for that LOL.  I will be happy with 50lbs per hive if that.... LOL  Maybe next year.   :-D
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Dubhe

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 05:51:13 pm »
Dang, Y'all are worse than fishermen..... ;)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 06:09:48 pm »
Dang, Y'all are worse than fishermen..... Wink

I am a fisherman!!!!   :evil:
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline tct1w

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 09:25:26 pm »
I got about 5 gallons from two hives. What at about 13 lbs a gallon that 65lbs?. Have them in the hills for sourwood but so far doesnt look to promising,sowe will see. I would love 100lbs per hive. Would be nice. Dave

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 10:05:42 pm »
This is my first year and I started from nucs. So far, zero gallons collected.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

anything