Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Positioning of empty honey supers...  (Read 1196 times)

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
Positioning of empty honey supers...
« on: July 16, 2010, 02:37:20 pm »
I have a hive that has been doing well laying nectar into the honey supers.  I don't want to take the full supers off as I'd prefer to extract all at once and I don't want to have to guard against little varmints getting into unprotected honey. 

So, how do you stack your supers?

I thought I remembered in the Dadant beginners book that after the first super is almost full you stack the second on top of the first...when the second is nearly full put the third between the first and second.  Any additional supers would go between the first and whatever is on top of it.

In my case, I have frames with foundation with NO drawn comb.  I have not been using a queen excluder.  This particular hive does not have a top entrance if that matters...

Thanks!

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Positioning of empty honey supers...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 05:31:54 pm »
I put empty supers under full supers to allow the bees easier access to the empty supers.  Be aware the queen can sometimes lay in those drawn but empty supers if she's pinched for space.  I wouldn't use a queen excluder in this example as the frames are undrawn even though you have drawn and filled frames above.  If the queen lays in there no huge problem just be aware it could happen.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...