Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation Hive for Short School Presentation  (Read 1505 times)

Offline acbs

• House Bee
Observation Hive for Short School Presentation
« on: April 07, 2007, 11:20:03 am »
Our grandson's teacher has asked us to do a presentation about honeybees for her class in a few weeks.  I've purchased the materials to build an observation hive and am in the process of doing so, following the general plan from Beesource with a few modifications I've picked up from the Forum.  We didn't really want to keep the observation hive occupied full time, just for the short time needed for the class (about 4-5 hours).  But I've been wondering--What can I expect from the hive after taking the queen and a few frames out for a few hours and then returning them, or is this something I should even be considering?  There is that part of me that just wants to try it and see what happens, but thought possibly some of you may have had an experience with something like this before that would save our bees from their curious keeper.
If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Observation Hive for Short School Presentation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 06:18:40 pm »
For a day (12 hours or so) it's not problem.  If you take them out for more than a day (24 hours on) they may supercede the queen because they will have started some queen cells.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline acbs

• House Bee
Re: Observation Hive for Short School Presentation
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 06:26:34 pm »
Thanks Michael.
I believed that to be true and probably would have gone ahead with my plan anyway, but will be more comfortable about it after your reply.
acbs
If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

anything