Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Selling Nucs out of season - Price question.  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Selling Nucs out of season - Price question.
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:48:57 am »
I'm growing a bit too fast. Catching too many swarms in my swarm traps. Trying to sell off hives.  I'm thinking of breaking my 10 frame hives into 3 nucs.

How much should a nuc sell for in summer?  Spring they command $120 around here with a known queen. But summer and a feral queen?  Should I just keep splitting and wait for spring?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Re: Selling Nucs out of season - Price question.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 02:23:04 pm »
Nucs here in NE Ohio go for about $85. One I started at end of April had to be moved into a deep. I am putting a med. on top today as they have 8 frames drawn out. A guy nearby is buying it for $150.

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:10:17 pm »
I need to come see you as I have sold all my bees from Colorado to move here to Dallas.  I am going through bee withdraws!!   :-D  I am trying to wait till I can catch a few free swarms this next spring but I do miss it.  Will they produce any honey for me this late in the season?  My first year hives up in Denver went hog crazy and gave me a few gallons right off the bat, but they were swarms too.  Let me know I might be / am interested.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:02:31 pm »
I picked some up in the spring with frame exchange, supply my own box, 5 frames for $50.00 a piece, queen in cage included. At present, they're doing good.

Offline Monie

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:39:11 pm »
Put an ad on Craigslist and see what happens. You never know until you try. I live in Indiana and I have a lady coming from West Virginia to get a couple of nucs. The following weekend, I have a guy coming from Illinois!! Folks needing bees now are out there!!