Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: History near our house  (Read 2728 times)

Offline mabuzzbee

• House Bee
History near our house
« on: August 25, 2008, 10:43:38 pm »
I bought a book on local history and me and Josh went looking for historical markers in the area..

This is the column that marks the grave sight of Chief Wi-Daagh mentioned below

Lochabar translates as "Lake where the deer shed horns." Here can be found wolf dens 40 feet in diameter and 80 feet deep, with perpendicular walls, subterranean streams, and caverns. The Giant's Pool has vertical walls of limestone and a depth of 300 feet, which must be crossed in a single leap.

The original track of land included 1500 acres. It was sold in 1700 to William Penn by the Chief of the Susquehanock (AKA Andastes) Indians for " a parcel of English goods." The story goes that Chief Wi-Daadh died of a broken heart when he realized he'd sold this treasured land for a few worldly goods.

Lochabar is to the ancient Susquehannocks what Jerusalem is to Christian, Moslem and Jewish faiths. It was the center of their spiritual monotheistic religion, and the residence of Wi-Daadh, the light of his people. The wolf den caves were underground temples and cathedrals where spiritual leaders and their students made contact with the spirit world. The spring that begins Antes Creek is located here. The creek flows about three miles into the Susquehanna River.

A great stone column marks the gravesite of Chief Wi-Daagh. In 1900, this Ionic column was removed from the fire-ravaged captial building in Harrisburg, and brought to Lochabar by Colonel Sanderson. It is 45 feet high and weighs 41 tons. Colonel Sanderson was the great grandson of Indian scout Robert Covenhoven.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:32:20 pm by buzzbee »
I am nobody.  Nobody is perfect.  Therefore, I am perfect.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: History near our house
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:37:27 pm »
MaBuzzbee.  Now isn't that just plain and simply cool!!!  What a little adventure you went on with Josh and you found something pretty ding dang exciting, yeah!!!  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything