Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When you feed sugar water ?  (Read 16797 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
Re: When you feed sugar water ?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 10:23:06 pm »
they will store it just as they do nectar.  you will have "honey" made from syrup.  it's fine for build up in spring and to top them off for winter.  it's not what you want to eat or sell.  in spring, it will give them a boost of brood rearing and comb building, in addition to what they might store.  as soon as you  have a good flow and want to begin collecting honey in your honey supers, stop feeding syrup or you will have adulterated "honey".

the short answer is that they  use it just as they would nectar.  you just don't want to eat it.  i think those were the 2nd and 3rd answer that joelel got.  i don't know how it could have been put more clearly for him.....

No,I didn't get a sensible answer until post #8,13,14.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 11:15:16 pm »
they will store it just as they do nectar.  you will have "honey" made from syrup.  it's fine for build up in spring and to top them off for winter.  it's not what you want to eat or sell.  in spring, it will give them a boost of brood rearing and comb building, in addition to what they might store.  as soon as you  have a good flow and want to begin collecting honey in your honey supers, stop feeding syrup or you will have adulterated "honey".

the short answer is that they  use it just as they would nectar.  you just don't want to eat it.  i think those were the 2nd and 3rd answer that joelel got.  i don't know how it could have been put more clearly for him.....
You got that right Kathy !
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 11:41:52 pm »
they will store it just as they do nectar.  you will have "honey" made from syrup.  it's fine for build up in spring and to top them off for winter.  it's not what you want to eat or sell.  in spring, it will give them a boost of brood rearing and comb building, in addition to what they might store.  as soon as you  have a good flow and want to begin collecting honey in your honey supers, stop feeding syrup or you will have adulterated "honey".

the short answer is that they  use it just as they would nectar.  you just don't want to eat it.  i think those were the 2nd and 3rd answer that joelel got.  i don't know how it could have been put more clearly for him.....
Joel how long have you had bee's ? you come in here and give answers to stuff out of book's are post stuff off the net And then basically insult people when they try to help !             

Joe

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 11:52:21 pm »

Wow, there is the way to act when you are asking people to help you out :roll:

Here Kathy, let me try,
I thought it was very obvious (clear) that everyone( all posters in this thread) informed (told) you that sugar water(syrup) was used just as nectar is and if you are feeding your bees syrup (putting an artificial food source for bees into their hives) while there is a flow (natural/ floral nectar source available for a period of time) on you cannot sell that "honey" because it is adulterated (not pure or 100 percent ) honey.

The bees do not differentiate (tell the difference) between the syrup (sugar and water mixed together) and the nectar and it does not matter(make a difference) who(which bee) is working in the hive and who is bringing it in.
It all gets processed (made) into honey and they(consume) eat it and store(put it into cells to eat later.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 12:13:14 am »
thanks Natalie!   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 12:58:01 am »
Natlie Kathy give up there is no help :-D You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 01:06:15 am »
It was my pleasure Kathy ;)

Irwin, what happens if you lead him to sugar water? Will he make honey out of it? :-D

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 01:25:42 am »
I know what we should have done!!
This:

Sugar Syrup
A honeybee colony needs to be fed a sugar-water solution, or sugar syrup, when it is first introduced into a new hive.  Syrup is used as a means for administration of medication or to stimulate comb and brood production in a weak hive.  Syrup is also required during a period of nectar dearth, such as during the early spring or during a prolonged drought.  And if you are replacing the queen (requeening), it is important to administer syrup one day before the old queen is removed and continue feeding for at least a week after the new queen is installed.

comb   
a sheet of hexagonal (six-sided) adjoining beeswax cells, manufactured by honeybees to store honey, pollen and brood.  In a beehive, the beeswax honeycomb is built on comb foundation, which is mounted within wooden frames.  The queen lays eggs in the brood cells of the beeswax, and the eggs mature into larvae, then pupae, and finally emerge as adult bees.  Honeybees build their comb (or honeycomb) in two layers, with the cells in each layer pointing in opposite directions, and the layers joined at the base of the cells

sugar syrup 
sugar/water solution, used to feed bees during a period of nectar dearth, to encourage comb production in a new hive or during requeening, or as a medium for administration of medication.  Syrup is typically made from sucrose for small-quantity, backyard beekeeping applications.  Many commercial beekeepers use large volumes of high-fructose corn syrup.
See also: fructose, dextrose, Sugar Syrup

dearth   
lack of natural food sources for nectar and pollen, common between fall and spring or during a period of prolonged drought during the normal foraging season

Feeding
Honeybees need to be fed periodically to supplement their natural food sources.  Bees require a high-carbohydrate, high-protein diet, which is naturally gleaned from nectar and pollen.  But there will be times when adequate food supplies are not naturally available, so you may need to feed the bees just to keep them from starving.  There are other times when you need to supplement their diet to encourage comb building and brood production, including:

You have installed a package of bees in a new hive

You are preparing for requeening

You are preparing the colony for winter

During early spring when the hive population has dwindled

When a colony is weak and needs to increase its population

The frequency with which you supplement your bees' diet is determined by the situation at hand.  In general, performing periodic apiary inspections will tell you whether the bees need to be fed.  The following sections give you more information on specific food, how it is prepared, and when to administer it.  You may feed your colonies multiple types of food at the same time if they need it.

Sugar Syrup
A honeybee colony needs to be fed a sugar-water solution, or sugar syrup, when it is first introduced into a new hive.  Syrup is used as a means for administration of medication or to stimulate comb and brood production in a weak hive.  Syrup is also required during a period of nectar dearth, such as during the early spring or during a prolonged drought.  And if you are replacing the queen (requeening), it is important to administer syrup one day before the old queen is removed and continue feeding for at least a week after the new queen is installed.
 Pollen Substitute
A pollen substitute is any material that can adequately replace pollen in the honeybee's diet, and typically includes soybean flour, powdered skim milk, brewer's yeast, or a mixture of these.  Substitutes are used in place of pollen to stimulate brood rearing in periods of pollen shortage, such as early spring or during a drought.  Pollen substitutes are also needed during the first two weeks after installing a package of bees or a swarm in an empty hive.  And substitutes are invaluable in a more arid environment where there is little or no natural pollen during a portion of the foraging season.
 Pollen Supplement
A pollen supplement may be administered at any time to stimulate brood production.  This is especially important during a time of nectar dearth (when there is no natural source of pollen for the bees to collect) or when the bee colony is first introduced into a new hive.  However, pollen substitutes are generally preferred as a more general-purpose, complete pollen replacement.  Pollen supplements are more commonly used to encourage brood development, as they are commonly prepared in patty form to be placed in the hive.  However, supplements do not always provide complete nutrition as a pollen substitute.  When in doubt, use a pollen substitute.
See also: Pollen Substitutes vs. Supplements

Grease and Extender Patties
BeeCARE recommends feeding grease patties all year round, even during the winter, to combat tracheal mites.  When mixed with terramycin, a grease patty is called an extender patty, and is also used to control American and European foulbrood.

Note: If your hives are infested with Small Hive Beetles (SHB), you should immediately remove and discontinue using all supplemental food inside the hives, including sugar syrup, grease patties, extender patties and pollen patties.  The syrup and patties are a rich food source for the beetles, encouraging their rapid spread throughout the honeybee colony.  The presence of supplemental food within the hive makes SHB control very difficult and endangers both honey production and the colony's survival.  A better alternative is to use an external bucket feeder for dry feeding, in or near the apiary, which may be used to administer dry sugar, pollen substitutes and terramycin soluble powder.

Watering
Boardman Feeder
used for watering
Watering
Honeybees require a reliable source of relatively clean, non-toxic water during the normal foraging season

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah....................

Is that the right way to answer a question? I think that is how its done, right??!! :evil: :-D
That may be the way to answer all of his future questions since that seems to be his preferance we are too casual in our answers.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 01:48:48 am »
 :-D

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 07:24:13 am »
Natlie Kathy give up there is no help :-D You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Irwin 

I can't make him drink :? but I can put salt in the grain. :-P  :-D

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 08:23:28 am »
Wow, I thought flame threads were only found on gaming forums! :shock:

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 08:46:55 am »
Nat has been on my ignore list for a long time,I don't read her posts,now Kat and Irwin goes on ignorance list with her,Opps,I mean ignore.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 09:24:29 am »
Sorry,#2 was a sensible answer also,I forgot it.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 09:37:57 am »
Natalie Kathy we are the few the proud the IGNORED :-D

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 09:40:03 am »
honey that they can use, but not honey that you would eat or sell.

This is the question ,When you feed sugar water,do the bees eat it or make honey out of it or both ? and part of your answer is not true. ALL HONEY THAT IS MADE IS ALL MIXED TOGETHER AND IT CAN"T BE SEPERATED,SO IT WILL ALL BE EATEN AND SOLD.THE BEES DON"T KNOW TO PUT SUGAR WATER IN THE BROOD HONEY ONLY AND PUT NECTAR IN THE SUPERS ONLY.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 09:45:04 am »

>Wow, there is the way to act when you are asking people to help you out :roll:

:roll: :-X

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 11:23:39 am by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 09:54:50 am »
:lau:
there's that sense of humor again kathy!

if beekeepers really thought that sugar feed doesn't get into their honey crop, and they were motivated to prevent such a ting from happening, i would think blue food coloring in the sugar feed would be in order.  any takers?

but seriously, we all know that sugar can't become real honey like HFCS can!

deknow

Contradiction in this statement,Its all mixed together,does that make the mix all real honey or all not real.

Offline yaser al khuja

• New Bee
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009, 10:06:53 am »
When you feed sugar water Benefit two things
1 Activate the Queen to lay eggs ,You must be the amount of Low feed   and the time day yes day no  and The solution is composed of  one cap of water and one cap of sugar
2 if we need the bee make Honey from the solution you must be big feed and  the solution is composed of one cap of water and two cap of the sugar
note (This honey is not for sale but to Processing of bees to enter the winter  After the honey harvest )
yk

Offline Jack

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:00 am »
perhaps he wants to market sugar water?

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 10:31:20 am »
I think I got it he is suffering from SGMG syndrome.