Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone use cloth or fabric inner cover?  (Read 8111 times)

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
Anyone use cloth or fabric inner cover?
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:27:32 pm »
I notice the Russian beekeepers around here put a piece of fabric over the top bars of their hives in place of an inner cover and then use a vent box style cover over the fabric, instead of a telescoping cover.  Has anyone tried this?  It seems like it would provide good ventilation during the summer.

-Mike

Offline Paraplegic Racehorse

• House Bee
  • Kilted beekeepers unite!
    • Me Blog
Re: Anyone use cloth or fabric inner cover?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:05:04 pm »
Interesting. That roof bears a striking similarity to the hive roof as defined in the Langstroth patent and his book (early editions). It also is very similar to the roof design officially adopted by the British Standards Institute, not that anyone pays attention to standards...

I wonder why we drifted away from the aspirated roof? It seems to be a re-discovery in the Americas. Odd.
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:06:53 pm »
I've been using ventilated covers here in Oregon this year and lovin 'em. Good air flow and condensation issues are gone.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 03:18:35 pm »
I came up with something similar, independantly and quite by accident. At one time I acquired quite a bit of stainless steel woven belting. I only got into keeping bees last year. I'd watched the bees fanning the hives trying to get rid of heat and moisture during the hot humid summer months, so I figred more ventilation would help, but having seen a hive lost to moths, I knew better than to simply prop the top up. Since I had all of this "fine screen" available, I built a top frame from it for each of my hives, and then propped the telescope top up an inch or so to give the air somewhere to go and still keep the direct rain off. One hive coated it with propolis pretty quick, but has since cleaned much of that back off.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:07:08 am »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 02:57:41 pm »
Seems like it also might provide one of the advantages of a TBH....you don't expose all 10 frames if you only want to pull one or two for a quick inspection.  Plus, good ventilation and moisture absorption.  It must work pretty well, the people who use this method around here seem to be the ones selling all of their extra bees after the winter....not buying replacement packages like everyone else.  I may have to give it a try on at least one hive....it makes sense...the one drawback I see is that you can't feed with a jar over the hole in the inner cover, but that may work through the fabric as well.
-Mike
-Mike

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 11:11:59 am »
I think it would be harder to get off once the Bees bridged wax to it and also get the wax off the cloth.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 09:51:41 pm »
The plastic "burlap" seed and feed bags work well, but of course you need to make sure they didn't have treated seed in them.  Some elevators will sell you new empty ones for a nominal charge and you can just fold them to fit.  They come off pretty well.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin