Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Saying Hi and would like help.  (Read 1937 times)

Offline sugarplum

• New Bee
Saying Hi and would like help.
« on: December 28, 2013, 01:16:49 pm »
New bee keeper here just registered in Nova Scotia .. My name is Don and want to get back to grass roots no chem gardening and such.. I am planning on making the 45 gallon TBH for bees. Can someone tell me if they are good for cold conditions and if yes is there special ways to protect in winter. We get temps down to minus 15C and with wind chill maybe to minus 20C. Are the plastic barrel hives good for these temps.. TY...  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dl

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Saying Hi and would like help.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:25:02 pm »
Howdy, and welcome to the forum.

That type of question would probably be best answered in the general beekeeping section. Be sure to put your location in so answers will be location specific. Good luck!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 04:02:21 pm »
Hello and welcome!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:39:35 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Don.  I don't know how good  the plastic drum would work up there.  I have a TBH out of 3/4" boards.  I am thinking about building another with Langstroth frames.  That way I can put them in an extractor and/or change frames with my Lang hives.  More people would probably see your question in the general beek section as GSF has said.  It has been a while since I read Micheal Bushs writings, but I think he has mentioned about wooden TBHs up where he is, no sure though.  Good luck

Joe

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:45:21 am »
Welcome to the forum, Don. 
TBH where designed for Kenya. A very warm climate. Not sure about severe cold climates.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 09:57:48 am »
Welcome to Beemaster Don.
I agree with Jim that they are really for a warmer climate than you have up there.
I just think you should go with Langs, as that is where you'll end up to keep them alive.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 04:07:18 pm »
A 45 gallon drum is probably a bit big.  I have several top bar hives that have always wintered well here and we are in zone 5.  Not sure how cold it gets there...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sugarplum

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 08:21:42 pm »
How cold does it get where you are at.. It can get down to minus 15 degrees celcius here...
ty