Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive#2 is a little hot.  (Read 2020 times)

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
hive#2 is a little hot.
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:54:33 pm »
I got 2 packages of buckfast bees from b weaver this april and one of the hives is starting to get a little hot.  They aren't horrible, but I wouldn't work them without at least a veil/jacket and long pants.  I'd say about 1/3 of my way through the inspection I get a few dozen bees headbutting and buzzing around my veil.  The only nice thing is 5 minutes after I'm done inspecting them I can take off my suit, walk back out in shorts and stand 5 ft infront of the hive without them even seeming to notice me.  They're also really building up nicely.  It's been exactly 1 month and 1 day and they've got the first medium packed full of bees with 8 and 1/2 frames that are packed top to bottom and side to side with brood in all stages.  A little honey and pollen around the edges and in the frames furthest to the sides.  I actually put another medium on about a week ago and they hadn't started moving up so I moved a frame of capped brood up to get them moving. 

Anyway how hot would you say is too hot?  I mean there's a descent flow going on.  I still have syrup on them; because it's been raining so much, but they havn't taken much in the last couple of weeks.  When do you think I should consider re-queening because of how aggressive they're starting to get?

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: hive#2 is a little hot.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:56:17 pm »
I had a hot hive for awhile...It was from a combine of two hives I caught.
I thought this was the reason for them being hot, then one day I decided to use a little smoke :)...That made a world of difference!
your friend,
john

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:56:59 pm »
Anyway how hot would you say is too hot?

I would say that a hive is too hot when they start stinging the daylights out of you making it impossible to inspect them.  I think that if they were aggressive and you were only nearby and they didn't let up on you until you were really far away from the hive would qualify them as being too hot.  Not just once but on multiple occasions.  Once IMO is not enough.  Everyone and everything is entitled to a bad day.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:05:37 pm »
I usually figure that when they start looking for me they are too hot. :roll:  They do occasionally when I've upset them, but they never tell me which hive they are from, so then it gets tricky.

If I stand by the hive and watch and they are headbutting me then somebody is going to lose her head!! :evil:

Keep in mind, though, that they are more testy when the weather is bad and they can't get out and forage.

Rick
Rick

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:27:12 am »
Yeah I do smoke them, and that particular hive does have a couple bees that will follow me a little ways, but they aren't aggressive in the least unless I have their hive open and they seem to calm down quickly.  Like I said I went and stood right in front of the hive not 5-10 minutes after the inspection and they didn't bother me.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 09:56:46 am »
They doesn't sound unusually hot so far, but you aren't comfortable with them, then requeen them.  There are more easy-going bees out there.

Rick
Rick