Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mounting the hives on a utility trailer. move them around as the farming changes  (Read 2314 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
i am new to beekeeping. i am surrounded by few hundred acre vegetable farm. i am in the process of getting 3 hives started . i would like to place the hives on a small utility trailer that i can cart around to the open areas of the farm to avoid the insecticide that they spray. is this practical? i was thinking on just placing them on the ground at the corner of my property but there is sweet corn there now. so by them being on the trailer they are portable and i can move them as the farming changes.. what do you think? so bear in mind..like i said i am new.. if its practical can you post some tips on moving them? say at night? place screens at the entrance?
ant

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Every time you move they you totally disrupt things.  The foragers will keep flying back to the previous location.  I would not move hives without a very good reason and try to move them as seldom as possible.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
If you have good relations with the farmer, I am sure you can get a heads up when he applies insecticide.  Then, you could close your bees in for the day with a screen over the entrances so they can get ventilation.  People have done just what you are suggesting so they could move to different places to take advantage of whats blooming there.  I knew an old man who put bars on the windows of an old bus and moved his bees to the mountains and protected them from the bears at the same time.  I don't think it is a wrong thing to do if you move them at night.  You need to bear in mind that you need to move them at least a couple miles so they don't go back to the last place they were parked and have no home.  Good luck.  

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Keep in mind, a hive will work about a 2 mile radius, up to 5 miles. If you are moving them around a few hundred acres, you aren't moving them anywhere near out of their work area. You are moving them enough to lose a few hundred bees each move. Don't use the trailer idea if you are planning to move them less than 10 miles each move.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
I am going to do this with some of my hives next year, but ONLY to work honey flows. I will be able to work two spring honey flows (one in the foothills and one in the mountains) and then the summer sourwood flow. Other than that I will not be moving mine. You could also place the three hives in different locations on the farm if it would be easier on you. Just a thought!

Offline adamant

• House Bee
wow.. lot of good points here.. 3 feet or 3 mile rule.. i will find a spot and park the trailer..
thank you

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
I have two 20 hive trailers that I move around for pollination. If it were not for the compensation received from the farmers, there would be little benefit. My traveling bees make some money and some honey but take a beating. My stationary bees make more honey do much better. So with that being said, unless you are being compensated and do not mind higher than average losses, I would park them in a central location and let them sit.

Good Luck,

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
And if you plan to move the hive away from the spray, you don't need you bees in that field.  Make sure you are getting paid good.