Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: honey super question  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
honey super question
« on: March 30, 2007, 07:10:15 pm »
at what point do you guys super for honey?  i know it's to early here.  the hive is building up and it's still to cold at night to give them more room.  flow should be good through end of june.  later if we get late rain.  last year i think i waited until july, but that was after letting them build up into a 3rd deep.  this year, i was thinking of adding honey supers earlier and skipping the 3rd box.

any suggestions?  they did fill that 3rd box with brood and honey last year.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: honey super question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:54:56 pm »
I don't know when the flow starts in your area. I am getting ready to add mine because my bees are just about done building up. It is amazing how much brood they do in march.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: honey super question
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 08:11:50 pm »
we get snow in march.  :-x

things are blooming.  started this week.  will be in full swing by the end of next.  they don't seem to thrilled with the fruit trees, but they are bringing in something.  i'll check next week and see what it looks like inside.  don't want them to get to far out of hand.  don't really want honey supers full of brood, but was hoping to avoid the third box for brood.  the way they are building up, i think i'll have to do one or the other.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything