Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Having fun now!  (Read 6404 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Having fun now!
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:53:00 pm »
Just bagged our 3rd swarm of the season. This one actually came from the pop-up camper that's going up to Bud's.

The swarm issued with us (Peggy and I) watching the whole spectacular thing and lit on a small pine tree. Peggy got the honors with this one and did a fine job in hiving them.

No video of it :'( but I did get some still pics that I'll post this evening.

WHAT A GREAT MORNING!!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline phil c

• House Bee
Re: Having fun now!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:02:41 pm »
Your makin me jealous! its still a month or more before any swarms up here!
AMC cars, Jeeps, Mineapolis Moline Tractors, Bees, More stuff than I have time to play with

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:17:24 pm »
Sweet.  Can't wait for the pics.

Offline dean0

• House Bee
    • My photovoltaic Website
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:40:55 pm »
Scott, now that you have another swarm, I suppose you want your nuc box back pretty quick.   The nuc I got from you last night has been transfered into my hive box this afternoon without any problems.  The nuc box is empty so I can bring it by if your going to be home.

Dean0
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:52:37 am by dean0 »

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:55:24 pm »
Scott, one of these days I would love to come over your way and catch pigs and remove bees with you guys. Just watched your initiation video again and was cracking up again!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 11:35:26 pm »
You're welcome anytime JP! Might just have to take you fishin' or shrimpin' or clammin' or crabbin' or oysterin' while we're at it!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:39:35 pm »
All of the above is fine by me. I'm an outdoor dude through and through.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:46:52 pm »
BTW, this was Peggy's first solo swarm shake. She's helped out on bunches of them but today I just clipped back some brush for her and she did the rest. She did great!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:49:21 pm »
Bet you're real proud of her! Bet she'll be telling all her friends what she did for weeks to come!

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 11:58:14 pm »
Great photos Scott and Peggy. Glad you were able to catch one all by yourself Peggy. It is a great achievement for a beekeeper. So wonderful you have this to share together and it made me feel that I wish I was sharing this hobby with my hubby as well. But I am truly grateful I have been able to actually do this for several years now with minimal help.

Take care and thanks for sharing all the photos and videos.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 12:00:26 am »
Bet you're real proud of her! Bet she'll be telling all her friends what she did for weeks to come!

...JP

Remember JP, my first swarm catch. I had you on the phone the whole time walking me through it all. I was so excited, and nervous at the same time. I was also very proud to post here about the swarm catch.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:43 am »
Annette, I don't know if you realize what impact your enthusiasm had on me during that time. It was a wonderful experience for me as well, as I know it was for Peggy.

...JP

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 12:11:35 am »
Awesome.  That is great.  I can't wait to see a swarm,  I have never saw a swarm first hand, only in pics.
BTW, this was Peggy's first solo swarm shake. She's helped out on bunches of them but today I just clipped back some brush for her and she did the rest. She did great!
congratulations...
Might just have to take you fishin' or shrimpin' or clammin' or crabbin' or oysterin' while we're at it!
come up here and we'll try some grabblin'.  I had a few guys want me to go with them but never took them up on it.  I bet it'd be a hoot with you guys.
Just watched your initiation video again and was cracking up again!
Jp or Scott is there a link to this anywhere I'd like to watch it.
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 12:22:45 am »
Let me see if this works (first time posting thread link).

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,29013.0.html

If you look hard enough you'll find Irwin's video that started the whole thing (gee thanks Irwin :-D) and JP and Schawee have them as well. Always looking for new members to the club!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 12:43:05 am »
 :lau: OMGosh that is too funny.  I had saw Schawee's before, but didn't realize what was going on.  Haha.  I'm assuming the unwritten rule is you have to do an initiation vid. Before you can post a vid.  I couldn't find Irwin's or JP's,  i'll keep looking for them. 
Thanks for the laugh Scott.

James

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 12:48:19 am »
Last Spring I was working one hive, when I heard this really loud roar. I thought it was coming from down the road or something. But when I looked over at the next hive, I realized they were getting ready to swarm. I quickly closed up the hive I was inspecting and watched the entire swarming process from the very beginning. It was so unbelievable watching all these bees come pouring out of the hive so quickly and fill the air all around. The air felt very electric to me and I was silly with laughter. It was a very happy event.

I watched them come together on an oak tree just a few yards away from the hive and about 20 feet up. A very large swarm and I could not get to them. But I was watching and watching them and suddenly after about 1/2 hour, they all started to fly back into the hive.

I was so happy they came back, that I immediately split this hive which totally stopped the swarming impulse.

Good luck to you on getting your first swarm.

Watching it is wonderful as well.

Annette
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 01:14:43 pm by annette »

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 12:56:53 am »
Annette, a swarm is one of nature's most awe inspiring events and one I'll never tire of. Being in the middle of a large swarm with what seems to be millions of bees swirling around you is enough to knock a good dose of religion into even the most ardent non believer! I'm happy for you to be fortunate enough to witness that!

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 12:59:55 am »
they all started to fly back into the hive
Wow, never heard of that before. 
That was a great story,  thanks for sharing it, Annette.
Good luck to you on getting your first swarm.
Thank you,  I really hope I can get one this year.  I have 15 traps to put out, and I am currently putting my name out around there area.  We'll see how it goes.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 01:24:49 am »
If you look hard enough you'll find Irwin's video that started the whole thing (gee thanks Irwin :-D) and JP and Schawee have them as well.
I found them.  They are too funny.

Initiation videos

Always looking for new members to the club!
Maybe someday.