Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees Wax in Bulk?  (Read 2590 times)

Offline allisono

• New Bee
Bees Wax in Bulk?
« on: September 18, 2011, 11:09:39 pm »
Hi All,

I am looking for bees wax in bulk at a good price.  Any one know of any one?  Would prefer to go right to the source and cut out the middle man if possible :)

Thanks in advance,

Allison

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Bees Wax in Bulk?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:15:00 am »
Look up Ga. bees. I think his name is John Pulka. He sells it by the bulk 5-100 lb. blocks. not sure of the price thow. also check with some of the polonators in your area.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:42:06 am »
Look up Ga. bees. I think his name is John Pulka. He sells it by the bulk 5-100 lb. blocks. not sure of the price thow. also check with some of the polonators in your area.

John Pluta ---- I believe in the Millidgeville Ga area. Know nothing much about his services just he is there.
Not sure of what you want the wax for but you may want to watch this vidieo. And then the decision would be yours. The chemical used in the trap is fripronil, I would think it would hold over in the wax.

Edited: I removed the video of the trap. I would rather be scorned for removing it than possibly leading someone to it as a use. But the fripronil does get in the wax so the entomologist I talked to says. And the post is intended to be about wax not beetle traps- sorry for leading it astray :(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:45:10 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:28:11 pm »
Thank you! great video.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 12:38:56 pm »
SC-Bee,
What makes you think the chemicals will end up in the wax. That is why he used the bate trap. It keeps the chemicals away from the bees and only the SHB can get to it. Since they like to stay in protected areas they end up dieing in the traps.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 02:56:53 pm »
SC-Bee,
What makes you think the chemicals will end up in the wax. That is why he used the bate trap. It keeps the chemicals away from the bees and only the SHB can get to it. Since they like to stay in protected areas they end up dieing in the traps.
Jim

And what makes you think it don't :? Do you think the shb enters the trap and just instantly keels over dead or do you perhaps think the shb may wander through the hive with the insecticide on them until they die.  A bee researcher from down Fla. way told our bee club 7 years ago fripronil was legal in France at one time it was  later banned. I heard another researcher from Georgia two years ago say, "stay away from fripronil!"

Are people using it --- you bet your sweet bippy they are. The proof is in the video!

My point is I don't know how much of a purest the poster is inquiring about the wax. Of course most wax now shows traces of chemicals.

It is to each to make his/her decision. I just choose personally not to possibly contaminate my honey with roach poison. I know, don't use it with honey supers on. Well my shb are the most active when honey supers are on. Maybe much to do about nothing on my end!

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but boric acid (again roach poison) is being looked at very closely for the same use. My understanding is because of the soft nature and make up of the boric. I'm no chemist, I don't want to misquote what i have heard or read. So I will leave the description of boric to others :-D
John 3:16

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 07:47:02 pm »
A beetle that eats that stuff don't die that second.  Fipronil takes a bit.   So the beetle walks out and poops and then it is out of the trap.  Also, a beetle could just walk through the trap and tracks Fipronil around the hive off his feet.   Those are just 2 ways Fipronil gets out of the traps and into the hive. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:15:19 pm »
A much better way, but basically the same thing is to use a SHB trap that hangs between the top of 2 frames and put a couple of drops of the bate in the bottom. That way they they crawl in but cannot crawl out. Be sure to shake them out every so often because they will fill up completely and then they can get back out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 12:25:37 pm »
I don’t have beetles here, but why not make a trap that periodically crushes the beetles inside the trap instead of using pesticides?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 06:15:36 pm »
Battery operated beetle hide and get crushed trap.   I like that idea.  Keep the price under $5.   And make it where the bees can not glue it shut.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 06:28:02 pm »
Finally an idea that somebody likes....  :-D

Offline allisono

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 06:40:44 pm »
Thank all :)

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:15 pm »
Looked into it a little while back the wife was wanting to get into candle making.  Seems to me what little research I did Dadant had the best price on the stuff.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:45:12 pm »

[/quote]

John Pluta ---- I believe in the Millidgeville Ga area. Know nothing much about his services just he is there.
Not sure of what you want the wax for but you may want to watch this vidieo. And then the decision would be yours. The chemical used in the trap is fripronil, I would think it would hold over in the wax.

[[/quote]

I personally don't use his traps. I use veg oil traps. I think they are easier to maintain. I do have a friend that uses the traps and uses a natural shb product. I not sure of the name of it so I can't add it. We have very little problem with SHB we keep the hive entrance reduced to a natural occurring size. The guard bees seem to keep them controlled. The most we have found in any of the hives (24) that me and my partner have  is 2 or three we inspect weekly.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 09:14:35 am »
I have wax if your interested
It is all from cutouts and open tree hives
So I'll claim nothing on its chemical content

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln