Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee stings  (Read 3811 times)

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Bee stings
« on: May 01, 2006, 03:01:56 pm »
Hi all,

It was inevitable. I finally got stung.

My weaker hive was grumpy on Satuday and as I smoked the entrance I watched one of my girls fly directly from the entrance to my hand and sting my finger. After I opened it up, another one got a finger on my other hand. I then went and got my gloves.

So, the second sting I got (two days ago now), has my finger all swollen up and the swelling has migrated a bit down into my hand. It doesn't hurt, but is plenty swollen and itchy as can be. Is this my welcome to being stung, or a worse reaction than I should have expected?
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Bee stings
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 03:43:10 pm »
Don't worry unless you start growing another arm, or a third eye.
Sounds normal to me.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Bee stings
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 04:12:27 pm »
yeah, after about 15 more this year you want even swell then, just the initial ouch and then no red or swelling...  :wink:
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bee stings
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 04:25:46 pm »
>Is this my welcome to being stung, or a worse reaction than I should have expected?

Some are worse.  Some are less.  Not all stings are equal.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Bee stings
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 05:09:03 pm »
Quote from: Michael Bush
>Is this my welcome to being stung, or a worse reaction than I should have expected?

Some are worse.  Some are less.  Not all stings are equal.

You can say that again. The other sting is swollen and you can see the site where the stinger went in, but I don't have the travelling swelling. Both stings I scraped the stinger out with my hive tool as well. Different bees, different stings.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Bee stings
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 09:03:23 pm »
I found that if you order gloves a little smaller than you would normally wear, they fit better and give you better dexterity (sp?).

It may be very noob to use gloves but it does boost my confidence a bit...
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline kace069

• New Bee
Bee stings
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 12:52:57 pm »
My first year I got 4 or 5 stings. No problems. My 2nd year my 2nd bee sting made me break out into hives! Then several beestings after caused severe swelling. About 150 stings later I was fine. Had my first sting Sunday and barely any swelling.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bee stings
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 02:37:19 pm »
>It may be very noob to use gloves but it does boost my confidence a bit...

I've been at this 32 years and I wear gloves.

I worked construction for years and had to work all winter in gloves.  I'm pretty dextrous with gloves on.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

manowar422

Bee stings
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 11:58:24 pm »
I got my fist sting of this season during the last inspection
I made (while looking over all frames for queens in three hives.
That day I took one on the left shoulder :o
This afternoon, I captured a swarm located in a small brush pile.
One of the bees from today, got me on the same spot, actually
she missed by half an inch :P
Lucky for me, bee venom hardly bothers me at all. I swell more
from mosquito bites :lol:

Offline bill

• House Bee
Bee stings
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 12:15:32 am »
I get a lot of stings and the worst ones are on the side of my nose and on my eyelid. My new swarm got real mad today when I droped the cement block on the cover to protect it from wind. the ones on my arms don't swell and just itch for a while. I only had a tee-shirt on. I got that tractor up to nine miles an hour but they were outrunning it lol
billiet

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Bee stings
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 12:24:09 am »
I am pretty good with gloves on also but I am ordering a frame grip to help out.....
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Bee stings
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 08:42:37 am »
> but I am ordering a frame grip to help out.....

I would get one of these ergonmic ones:

http://www.beeequipment.com/products.asp?pcode=764

Not this kind that cut into your hand:

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/catalog/page26.html
-------------------

Offline fuzzybeekeeper

• House Bee
Bee stings
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 02:16:09 pm »
I personally like this one:

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=729

The first one that Michael listed is nice, but it is also cast aluminum and if you drop it on the cinder block that was on top of your hive or hit it with something it will break (like mine did) and it cannot be repaired.  

I have had two of the ones I listed above.  I foolishly tried to move some frames that were in the hive apart by wedging the points of the clamp and as a result I bent it.  It no longer works as well.  My new one has been wonderful, though and it has the added benefit of having that prying tool on one side.  I also now use a silver/red hive tool to move my frames once they are in the hive.

Fuzzybeekeeper

Offline rsilver000

• House Bee
Bee stings
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 04:33:16 pm »
Cast aluminum can be welded or you can use one of the wonder epoxys out there that often make a stronger bond than the material the object is made of.  I have used some of those epoxys to fix carburators and engine parts (that are unobtainable) in my 1950 MG and 5 years later it is still holding in spite of a lot of heat and vibration.  

Michael, I have coated my non-egometric frame grips with a bit of bicycle handle grip tape and it makes it much less harsh on my palms and fingers when I use it.  Cheap and easy fix!!
Rob
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere.

Offline fuzzybeekeeper

• House Bee
Bee stings
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 06:48:43 pm »
Thanks, rsilver000,

I'll give that a try.  I liked them as frame pullers and was really upset when I found them broken in the bottom of my supply box.

Honestly, though, while the yellow ones tend to make an indention in the wood, they DO hold better than the silver ones do.  I have found that those silver ones tend to slip since they have rounded points to grasp the wooden frames.

To each his own!

Fuzzybeekeeper