Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nail Guns  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
Nail Guns
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:32:33 am »
What make and model of nail gun have you found to be the best for assembling frames?

What type of fastener (i.e. straight nail or "horseshoe" nail) is best for assembling frames?

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
Re: Nail Guns
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:47:15 am »
Don't know about "best", but I've used a Harbor Freight 1" brad nail/stapler combo gun with 5/8"long 1/4" wide staples. I've built 6 or 8 hives with supers and all the frames plus some extra boxes and frames over the past couple of years and haven't had any real issues with doing things this way yet.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 03:48:12 pm »
For many years now we've used 1/4" crown, 1 1/2" or 1 3/8" staples for frames. They hold even without glue if you use 2 staples at each end. However, the best I have ever used is a 3/8" stapler with 1 1/2" long staples, which is exactly the right width to straddle the groove in the bottom bar and you only need one staple at each end. Senco is the only manufacturer that currently has a 3/8" gun and they are fairly expensive at $350.00, but well worth it when you have thousands of frames to build. We use a 1/2" stapler with 1 1/2 " or 1 3/4" galvanized staples for our boxes. The large staples come with an adhesive/resin coating. Forget taking the box apart once stapled, as you will destroy the box!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 04:06:24 pm »
IMO, this Porter Cable combo kit http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100497650&categoryID=524403 can't be beat. I paid $199.00 for mine ate H.D.

I use 1" staples for frames 2 & 3/4 ridged nails for supers.

I actually purchased a larger Porter Cable nail gun & use the gun for the supers but the brad gun w/ the kit works fine as well.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:42:44 am »
Thanks for the link, JP!  I was looking at that combo setup myself but I couldn't figure out what nails/staples that the medium gun used while in the HD store.

Do you glue the frames as well?

Do you shoot a fastener through the end bar into the top bar (horizontal) or just nail down through the top bar and bottom bar?

Thanks again!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:18 am »
Thanks for the link, JP!  I was looking at that combo setup myself but I couldn't figure out what nails/staples that the medium gun used while in the HD store.

Do you glue the frames as well?

Do you shoot a fastener through the end bar into the top bar (horizontal) or just nail down through the top bar and bottom bar?

Thanks again!

I use two staples per connection top down, side through top for top bar/side bar connections, same on bottom bar/side bar connections.

I don't use glue on the frames, my preferance.

Hope that helps.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 10:07:55 pm »
1/4" crown stapler....I love it!

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:33:37 pm »
IMO, this Porter Cable combo kit http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100497650&categoryID=524403 can't be beat. I paid $199.00 for mine ate H.D.

I use 1" staples for frames 2 & 3/4 ridged nails for supers.

I actually purchased a larger Porter Cable nail gun & use the gun for the supers but the brad gun w/ the kit works fine as well.

...JP
Bought the same set-up at HD but only with two guns instead of three. I use the 18 ga brad nailer for frames and glue them. as well.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Harbor Freight nailer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:06:39 am »
I see in Sunday's flyer in the local mullet wrap that HF has their 18 gauge 2-in-1 nailer/stapler on sale for $14.99. Lot#97524 for those interested.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Titus

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 09:59:58 am »
I got 1 year out of the Harbor Freight nailer/stapler, now its in pieces at the bottom of the trash can.  It worked ok for a while though.   After checking around, I also went with that Ridgid stapler from HD.  So far no problems and no oiling :)

anything