Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starting 1st trapout this week a few last minute questions  (Read 1550 times)

Offline wouldliketobee

• House Bee
I am going to trap out a hive for a co worker thats in a large tree that they don't want to cut down, I have made the cone but the base of the screen is alot bigger than the hole so I am going to shorten it to get the base about the same size of hole and this will make the cone about 12 inches   What is the shortest a cone can be and still be effective? What is the best time of day to put the cone on? morning, noon, or evening? How agitated do bees normally get the first day ?     

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Starting 1st trapout this week a few last minute questions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 10:12:39 pm »
Why shorten it?    Where the hardware cloth meets the tree, it can be bigger than the hole in the tree.   Bees are still going to climb out and get trapped out.    But it on any time of the day.   Bees will get trapped out when they leave.   Just have the trap hive ready.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 10:22:53 pm »
I try to get the bait hive stand rigged up first while the bees are busy flying in and out.

Work on the cone next to get it fitted in place, and by now the returning bees are starting to pile up.

Set the bait hive in place, strap it down and just sit back and watch with a careful eye to see if they are getting around your cone or have another entrance. Seal all of the holes with silicon and keep watching.

I always try to come back the next day to be sure they have not found another way in..

Have set them in the morning and even worked on them after dark to get finished.

Good luck with it an yes we do like to see pics.

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 10:31:52 pm »
I prefer a cone 6 to 8 inches, but it really doesn't matter a lot what length it is, within reason.

Set it as early as possible in the day so you get as many as possible out the first day to cover the brood in the bait frame the first night.

I have never worn a veil to set a trap. The bees are too confused to be protective.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline wouldliketobee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:35:12 am »
Thanks guys I feel more prepared now, I have the stand to put box on set up already , I just wanted to shorten the cone because the base which I attached to wood didn't look like it would fit flush against tree. The cone was 24 inches long , with an 8inch base. The hole is about 2 and 1/2 inches in diameter on about a 4 inch bump, I just thought a smaller base would fit flatter against the 4 inch bump, I 'll try to remember pictures.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 12:45:57 am »
the cone doesn't have to be attached to a piece of plywood, last one I did on a tree I just stapled the cone to the tree and sealed the holes with silicon.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 12:48:02 am »
the cone doesn't have to be attached to a piece of plywood, last one I did on a tree I just stapled the cone to the tree and sealed the holes with silicon.

Same here, but I used frame screws so I did not have to caulk it.

anything