Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hot wire knife for cut outs  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Hot wire knife for cut outs
« on: May 21, 2007, 09:08:36 pm »
Here is a real simple tool that comes in real handy when doing cutout and sizing the wax to fit inside frames.

It is just a piece of wire twisted between two pieces of wood.   I attach the wire to the transformer of my wire embedder and have a rotatory switch to turn it on/off.  It cuts thru the wax almost as good as a hot knife thru butter.  I seem to be able to do less damage with this than with a serrated knife.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hot wire knife for cut outs
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:17:53 pm »
Is it hot enough to burn bees? What distance between the gap to straddle the comb?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Hot wire knife for cut outs
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 09:27:41 pm »
Yes it can burn the bees.   It's about 2 inches or so wide.  Nothing critical with the dimensions,  I just made sure it was deep enough for a medium frame.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison