Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need advice on a bee capture (update)  (Read 8571 times)

Offline latebee

• House Bee
Need advice on a bee capture (update)
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2006, 11:02:43 pm »
I have done two removals from eaves and in my opinion,they are the most dificult of all. If you can stay focused while being stung,and you are sure of this-why not try it,but remember a mistake in judgement at thirty odd feet in the air could be a major catastrophy. If it is hot and humid your suit will cling to your upper back like a second skin and will offer little protection. Last high wire act I did (even with a bee vac),I was stung 9 times. The job takes roughly four hours. But it is really fatigueing.Don't forget you probably will not get the queen so have one on hand or save all the brood comb. Otherwise your efforts will be disapointing. Personnaly I would do a few removals at ground level before considering an eave removal. Beekeep on!!!!!!!!!!!
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 09:46:42 pm »
Since you would be working up- in -the -air I would be sure what happens if you fall and hurt youself.   If you have no experience working at heights you are at a disadvantage, plus dealing with bees.

Are you a contractor with your own insurance protection? Will the property owner cover you as far as workmans comp? Very important considerations here.

Bear in mind that your rich man didn't get that way by being stupid, but, he probably took advantage of stupid people along the way and of course called himself way smart.  Then again he might just be " the real stand-up guy ". Hard to say without knowing the " true story ".

Quite frankly, speaking from some experience doing removals, there are way more efficient ways of dealing with bees for hiving, than this foolish scheme.  Those bee captures  are a real PITA IMO.

Swarms are OK and that is about all I will do anymore.

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 01:26:00 am »
Update - I received an email from this guy and he excepted my offer :shock:

I am a little nervous and kind of hoped he would decline.. :?

I think I will get the help of a beek here in my area who is learning under Bill Gafford's wing (for those of you who know him).

Wish me luck!
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com