Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 18 gauge 1-1/2" staples OK for box assembly?  (Read 7208 times)

Offline davacoles1

• New Bee
18 gauge 1-1/2" staples OK for box assembly?
« on: December 06, 2013, 06:36:21 pm »
New to building my own equipment.  I was going to use deck screws, but if I rabbet joint my supers is it OK (advisable) to use 18 gauge staples 1-1/2"?  I ask because the nailer linked below is only $17 at Harbor Freight and it seems like an efficient way to construct them.  

The supers I'm building are 8 frame.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2-in-1-nailerstapler-68019.html  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:06:29 am by Robo »

Moots

Re: 18 gauge 1-1/2" staples OK for box assembly?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:44:53 pm »
dava,
Welcome to the forum, you might want to update your location in your profile since a lot of advice tends to be region specific.

As to your questions, I run all 8 frame mediums and use 1 1/4", I think 16 GA. staples on a single rabbit and use titebond III glue.  The staples work great, but I think using a quality glue is really the ticket!

Should work fine!

Good Luck!  :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 08:49:08 pm by Moots »

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:45:44 pm »
I use 18 guage 1 1/2 staples and I nail with cement coated 8 pennies additionally.  Nails and staples have different kinds of strength.  I hate the mess glue makes I guess or I might glue instead of one type of fastener.  The 18 gauge are nice on the top by the frame rest as nails can split the wood there.

Offline bbbthingmaker

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:43:00 pm »
A rule of thumb : The fastener should penetrate into the board being nailed to at least the thickness of the board being nailed.  Staples have good holding strength, try pulling one.  18 gauge is a lot smaller diameter than deck screws, so use plenty. Also they aren't as likely  to split the wood.  I would also use glue, Tite-bond  II or III.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 08:15:05 am »
That and some tightbond is what I use on all my equipment.   Works fine.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline HeritageHoney

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:19:05 am »
Ordered the gun referenced above.  Ready to put it to use along with Titebond III putting together 45 deeps, 110 mediums, and 20-30 nucs.
Tim Wilbanks
Kalona Honey Company

Offline davacoles1

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 09:22:15 am »
Thanks all. I have the gun and glue, just have to pick up the wood. Lowes and Homedepot were expensive for the pine. 84 Lumber had a really good price. But, it's a bit of a haul compared to Homedepot which is 4 miles away. Homedepot matched the price, so I'll probably pick it up today from them.

Moots

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 10:19:45 am »
Thanks all. I have the gun and glue, just have to pick up the wood. Lowes and Homedepot were expensive for the pine. 84 Lumber had a really good price. But, it's a bit of a haul compared to Homedepot which is 4 miles away. Homedepot matched the price, so I'll probably pick it up today from them.

** emphasis added

dava,
Tell me more about how you went about getting Home Depot to match the price.  I'm about 2 miles from a Home Depot, love their hours and the fact that you can put hands on the product before buying, but as you mentioned, their wood prices are outrageous compared to other options. 
I actually had an 84 lumber about 4 miles away but they closed their doors.   :(

However, the Mom & Pop lumber companies have comparable lumber priced for 1/3 to 1/2 of Home Depot and Lowe's.

Offline davacoles1

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 11:48:00 am »
They have  10% price match guarantee. Google Home Depot price guarantee (I'd paste the Link, but if I do it will go on my "permanent record" as a violation of policy since I'm new on the forum...).  I had them call 84Lumber to verify the price since 84 Lumber does not post prices online that I could find.  >>Don

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 11:43:51 pm »
I use 18 guage  1 1/4" brad nails and Tite Bond II glue on 3/4" boards.
All boards thinner than 3/4" I use a 18 guage 1" brad nail.
Like as mentioned before a good quality glue is the key factor.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 09:04:58 am »
We use 1 1/2 staples but in 16 gauge staples for boxes. !8 gauge for everything else.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 01:09:25 pm »

** emphasis added

dava,
Tell me more about how you went about getting Home Depot to match the price.  I'm about 2 miles from a Home Depot, love their hours and the fact that you can put hands on the product before buying, but as you mentioned, their wood prices are outrageous compared to other options. 
I actually had an 84 lumber about 4 miles away but they closed their doors.   :(

However, the Mom & Pop lumber companies have comparable lumber priced for 1/3 to 1/2 of Home Depot and Lowe's.

home depot and lowes run at least a 33 percent gross profit on lumber except for the loss leaders like osb which they will sell for cost or just below it.  i sell building materials and i worked for home depot about 10 years ago.  get a quote from a supplier and home depot will match it plus another 10 percent (or at least that's what they used to do).  they'll do it for appliances or anything else too.  you have to make sure it's the exact same model number on thinks like that, though.  a lot of times manufacturers will sell the exact same product to a big box but change the model number by one number or letter so that they can say no on those things.  a lot of times they'll go ahead and work with you, though.  those guys have numbers they have to reach and they are greedy for a sale most of the time.
i'm making a short story long.  the written quote is the reason i don't work with individuals building their own houses very often.  they'll get a quote and take it to everybody in town saying "beat this". 

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 06:07:59 pm »
Anyone know of any deals on these items in Canada? The cheapest I saw @ Home Depot was 149. CanD.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

anything