Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some Dahlia Blooms  (Read 3431 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Some Dahlia Blooms
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:53:22 pm »
They are just beginning!
Kenora Sunset

Danjo Doc

Moray Susan

Ken's Rarity

Taratahi Ruby

Alpen X

Alpen Pearl

Woodland's Merinda

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Some Dahlia Blooms
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 04:36:13 pm »
Those are magnificent and make me feel a little sad. My friend tried to grow the dahlia seeds you gave us, and was unsuccessful. First the gophers got them, then they just sat in the soil for weeks and never grew bigger than maybe 4". I think he did not use the correct soil. Anyway, I had a few seedlings in pots and gave them to my other friend who has a huge organic garden and she may be able to get them to grow. I told her very light soil. I will show her your photos so she knows what to expect.

I still have many seeds left and we can try again next year.
You see, I do not have a garden because I have many deer (about 20) that live on my property and they eat everything. My friend has the property where I keep my hives and he is the one who tried to grow them. He probably did not give them the attention they needed.

Take care
Annette
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:45:22 pm by annette »

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:32:49 am »
Something ate mine. I had 6 started and about 6" tall. I transfered them to the garden and something ate the tops off of them. I haven't checked with my friends to see if theirs are better then mine.
 I don't have much of a green thumb but I keep trying and learning. I'd love to grow flowers as beautiful as those.
 Thanks again for the seed. I'm sorry that I failed.
Jim

Offline 2-Wheeler

• House Bee
    • http://www.beesandblooms.org
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:55:34 pm »
Great photos. I really like Dahlia's but they are so much work in this climate to keep them from year to year.
-David Broberg   CWOP#: CW5670 / CoCoRaHS #CO-BO-218
Blog: http://beesandblooms.blogspot.com/
My Weather: http://www.leyner.org/
My Flickr Album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbroberg/

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 11:21:42 pm »
Wow Sharon, after I posted that the Dahlias were not growing, my friend showed me 4 plants that have really taken off, so it looks like I will get some Dahlias this year. I will post photos for you to see when they bloom.  How exciting!!!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:35:55 am »
ooohhh great news, can't wait to see!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:25:58 am »
Sharon, oh!!!  Rock and roll.  I can't believe the magnificence of those ladies!!!  I germinated and grew about 100 of the seeds that you gave me.  My Sister went to town and got the seedlings in the ground long before this lazy girl got hers in.  I am not even sure if these plants will mature to bring on flowers or not, my Sister's certainly will.  I have to be careful when I take pictures of hers, because I know that she purchased some dahlia tubers too, so careful I must be.  My dahlias are growing, slowly but surely.  They have had a lovely feed of fish emulsion, like you said, that should get their tubers forming fast and furious.  I bet you will be a proud mamma of many dahlia plants, all over this country, hee, hee.  Beautiful pictures, by the way, girl.  Have that most beautiful day, to live and love like their narry was a tomorrow.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service