Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cool Video on skep beekeeping.  (Read 3293 times)

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Cool Video on skep beekeeping.
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:16:38 pm »
It's a bit long(25min) and it's all in German but it's quite nice to watch anyways.(it's in the upper right corner of the webpage).

http://mkat.iwf.de/iwf/do/mkat/details.aspx?GUID=544D412D0000000000000000000000002CF44C867428550EFC000000631A53B7&Action=Schnell&SearchStr=skep
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: Cool Video on skep beekeeping.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:24 pm »
That's pretty cool.  Some serious swarm action going on there at the beginning. 

I don't understand how it was supposed to work when he gathered the swarms and then just ladled them out into multiple skeps - seems like either they would fight or end up queenless.  Then it looked like he was sorting through and finding several queens in the same bucket-o-bees.  That can't be right can it?  Maybe it was a bunch of swarms poured in together.

Cutting out swarm cells and putting them in mating nucs I get.  Tearing open swarm cells and releasing the queen back into the hive I don't get.  I guess they aren't as delicate as I think.

The bee Keeper looks to have permanently swollen hands.  He must be getting stung a lot.  If it was a he.

I thought that skeps were a lot more hands off than this looks like.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.  Cool video.  Lots of beekeeping videos out there, but unfortunately only a few are very interesting.   

Hey, new sub-forum idea.  GOOD bee keeping videos.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

anything