Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Home Made Cheese  (Read 7361 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Home Made Cheese
« on: November 04, 2010, 12:25:47 am »
I'm thinking of trying my hand at making cheese.  I found a local dairy that will sell raw milk (its legal in Washington, just really hard to find retailers that carry raw milk).
Anybody here make their own cheese?  How hard is it to make?

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Home Made Cheese
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:06:34 am »
I was just thinking the same thing. I know a guy that has two milk cow's that said he would give me all the milk I wanted. The price of milk here is 3 dollar's a gallon and when the grandkid's are here we will use a gallon and a half a day. Just have to remind the wife to shake it before she gets a glass. She is bad about stealing all the cream.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:08:00 am »
We make it in the winter.  I built a oak cheese press that is weighted with water filled milk jugs.  Buy a good book and read up.   Heres a link to a recipe for 30 Minute  Mozzarella  that is so easy and always turns out great
http://homecooking.about.com/od/cheeserecipes/r/bldairy22.htm#

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:15:03 am »
Thank's danno I know what I'm doing this weekend if I can get the stuff to do it.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:46:00 am »
after the Mozzarella is done save the whey and make Ricotta with it
heres the recipe
http://www.instructables.com/id/Great-Ricotta-Cheese-From-Whey/

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:50:35 am »
I make a "farmer's cheese" often.

Heat 1gal milk slowly to 190 degrees and add the juice of two large lemons or 1/4 cup vinegar to separate the curd from the whey. Pour through a sieve lined with 4 layers of cheese cloth and allow to drain for 10 mins or so. Gather the cheese cloth into a sling and hang from a dowel over the sink until it stops dripping. Place in a bowl and salt to taste.

Put about half of the cheese in a tupperware container and cover with honey. Repeat with the second half to form layers.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 10:03:30 am »
I can't say I was ever very good at it, but I made "farmer's cheese" as well.  Nothing fancy, but not bad tasting.  You can let it dry more and keep it longer  I never used honey...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 10:08:38 am »
the 30 Minute  Mozzarella  is one of my favorites.  It does need the optional salt for flavor.   It comes out kinda rubbery and tasty

Offline BeesNeeds

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 12:50:49 pm »
mmm, I like to make fresh farmers cheese too :)
I let the fresh curds drain for a few hours to overnight in the fridge..
Then I take about a half cup or so of olive oil, and add to it several tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs and some salt. Then using a small baking dish... I pour in some of the oil mix, fill it with the fresh cheese, top off with the rest of the oil mix.. Make sure there is oil all the way around the cheese, and no bare cheese touches the dish walls.
Bake for 30-45 min at 350...
Makes for an amazing cheese spread :) The herbs and salt in the oil balance great with the blandish cheese.
- :bee: -

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 01:02:33 pm »
Now that's one I'll surely try!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 11:04:36 pm »
Yall are making me hungry,  I would love to be able to make cheese for the amount that I eat,  Just love new York extra sharp cheddar,  and provolone for hot sandwhiches,  colby on cold sandwhiches, american for an omlet,  motzerella for pizza and snacking,  I have a cousin that makes cow butter all the time,  best butter yall ever had,  never tried home made cheese though.  

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 11:40:49 pm »
If you do end up making cheese just remember to cut it in the kitchen before bringing it out to guests. It's considered rude to cut the cheese in public :-D

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 10:24:39 am »
Naw, you can cut the cheese in public but only when you can point the finger at your wife. I do it all the time grocery shopping  :evil:

I've made several batches of 'feta' from goats milk. So easy that I even pulled it off.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 08:12:50 am »
Naw, you can cut the cheese in public but only when you can point the finger at your wife.

I don't know about pointing my finger at the wife, but my kids think it's great to pull my finger.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 12:00:48 pm »
Bwah!!!  You dudes are all sick  :shock: considering now ALL men are brats!!!  :roll:  :lol:   :-P.  Beautiful days, of love, peace and health, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 10:26:50 pm »
 :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:

Sean Kelly

Offline patriot9878

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 10:45:24 am »
You could probably pour the milk in some kind of dish and seal it and put it some place hot and go back and you might have something. I left a glass of milk on the counter and after three days it turned to clabber.