Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: stocking medicine cabinet.....  (Read 3031 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
stocking medicine cabinet.....
« on: June 15, 2006, 01:34:18 pm »
I'm new this yr. to beekeeping.  I have 5 strong hives and all I've done to them is the powdered sugar treatment for mites.  I inspect them about every 10 days to 2 weeks.  I have seen some SHBs in a couple and a moth or two (  not infested with wax moths or great # of SHBs but there are a few of each ).  I've heard most everyone has some of each in some hives they own but a strong hive will control any large out breaks of either insect.

Are there treatment medications that I should have on hand all the time to keep the bees healthy..?  I'm sure if someone could come up with a list of the most important items to keep on hand and how \ when to use them alot of us new comers would appreciate it.......I sure would.  Thanks for any advise..

Steve SC

Offline Joe

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:57:48 pm »
I've been lucky so far and have never had any troubles with disease or parasites since I started my hives 4 years ago.  I did buy a starter kit from Mann Lake that included CheckMite+, Teramyicin Patties, and menthol crystals I believe.  After reading the precautions on CheckMite+ I decided against using it unless absolutely neccesary, that stuff is quite toxic.  The Teramyicin Patties seemed like a good idea except that the patties are moist and I would think that that alone would reduce their shelf life, if you get these you may want to refrigerate or freeze them.  A Teramycin powder may be better in the long run.

I did purchase a bag of artificial pollen from Mann Lake a well. I really like that stuff and feed my bees with it in early spring to get them to build up stronger earlier.  With the artificial pollen and some Teramyicin powder you can make your own terra patties.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 10:23:40 pm »
A good first aid kit has very few required items in it.  I would suggest setting up a Terrimycin shaker (Terrimycin & Powered sugar) to apply in the spring to ward of AFB or EFB.
The maybe some Honey-Bee-Healthy for adding to sugar syrup when feeding in the spring or starting swarms or packages.  And some pollen substitue to stimulate brood production in the spring (Feed it mixed in patties made with crisco and sugar).
Good ventilation and small cell foundation and drone comb seem to be the growing trend for varroa mite control along with powered sugar application.
That's about all thats really needed.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 10:19:49 pm »
>Are there treatment medications that I should have on hand all the time to keep the bees healthy..?

Not in my opinion.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hiptfarms

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 11:26:49 pm »
Best be careful of a few beetles in your hive.   Mike Hood (Clemson) told me not to worry about a few beetles but before I  knew it, a few beetles made a few more hundred beetles, PRESTO - full blown infestation.  Our winters in SC being as they are - practically none existant - the pests take over very quickly.

Good luck.

anything