Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My bee on a flower!  (Read 4388 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
My bee on a flower!
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:36:28 pm »
I took this picture last week when the Bradford pears started to bloom. This was with my new camera lens I recently got!
Of course, I had to photoshop it a little, but doesnt everybody?
 I dont think I like photoshop. Maybe i'll get some other photo editor soon!
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: My bee on a flower!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 12:50:51 am »
John, that was a very very beautiful picture, once upon a time.  I can't quite put a finger on it, but there is something a little bit odd looking to it.  What did the original photo look like before you edited it with photoshop?  I am not trying to be nasty or critical, but the picture didn't really look real.  Post a picture (if you have it still) of the original.  I bet the lens for your camera is a really nice one, judging how beautiful the close up is.  Have a great, wonderfully awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bodo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:49:49 am »
looks like bigfish used a low quality jpg to make the file smaller.  Photoshop is a very powerful piece of software, but VERY pricey.  It takes a little while to get used to it.  :lol:

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:24:12 pm »
Ok,...I like crticism that helps me do things better!
I'll look for the original and post it.
hey Bodo, as a matter of fact I DID make the jpg a smaller file.I did it with the slide bar that goes left to right..I had it almost all the way to the left. I thought I was supposed to make it small for a forum post....ok,...let me seeee....I gotta go find the original,...

Well, sorry you guys,...I cant find it..I must have dumped it and kept the one i posted.
 But,... :-\...Heres one thats almost the same..Shot the same day, the same tree,the same camera settings(whatever they were) the same bee,(ok,...maybe not the same bee) probably minutes apart, and also with the same filthy filter.(I think thats why its hazy) But, maybe you can get an idea of what i did to this posted pic(first one)
 and tell me how to make inprovements! :)
Cant wait! (really!)

your friend,
john

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:43:44 pm »
Tell me if this looks better.

Does this have a better quality about it? Not so much doctoring this time! :)

Your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 11:04:57 am »
John, the last picture was perfectly clear and so pretty, the anthers looked so clear too, very, very very nice.  But it still has an odd appearance to me on my computer.  Not too sure how to say it, don't want to be critical, but it had a look that seemed almost strange.  I would like to know why too.  Your camera takes the most beautiful shots, Nikons are great, my Husband has a D-50 or something like that.

When I get pictures ready for the forum, I use a program called VSO image resizer, it is a very simple simple program to use and makes all the pictures in a size under 100 kb or pretty darn close. Those are very appropriate sizes for the forum. 

VSO image resizer is free and is powerful stuff.  Why don't you try it?  I am sure there are others too that are great for resizing, but I sure like this program.  Google VSO image resizer, download and give it a whirl.  Have the best of this wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 01:33:08 pm »
Johnny, another hidden talent. Great pic.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 08:53:44 pm »
Hey Cindi, All I did on the last pic was to crop it and maybe I sharpened it 1 clik. But after looking at it again..and again....and again..and again....I think i know what looks strange!(At least thats all I can see)...The little black dots on the ends of the flower stalks!!..They look as if I put them there with a ......uhhhhh........fountain pen!..its kind of like they're floating in space, right?..Is this what you see?

Also, You sent me the directions on how to post pics some time back.....And, at first, I was re-sizing them and that happened from where my pics came from, maybe photoshop. I'll have to look and see how i did this because i remember there was nothing to it.

Hmmm,...Do you suppose I should stick with posting "Bee sting" pics? :)

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 11:08:00 am »
John, yes, that is what I was talking about the black dots on the flower stalks.  Actually a very short lesson here.  Those are called anthers, the black dots are where the pollen is (and it is along the filament too), that is the stem thing which is attached to the black dots.  Yep, to me on my laptop, it looks just like you describe, a fountain pen, the black dots floating in air, hee, hee.

The picture is still very clear and beautiful regardless, loved it.  Don't stop posting pictures of the flowers and bees, and yes, I still love to see more pictures of any stings that you may get from your bees (hee, hee, that nasty side of me surfacing, oops, did I say that).  Have the best of this wonderful day, Cindi

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 11:37:05 pm »
Oh boy,.... I guess i'll have to take more pics for sure now.... :?...My hard drive broke today and i lost ALL my pics.....AGAIN!!!
 I just had my computer fixed after losing everything from a crashed windows(windows got corrupted somehow) a couple of months ago..At least Google had my email addresses in my Gmail(The ones I had written down or found other ways since my first breakage)

Oh well.... :-\...Life goes on!
your friend,
john

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 08:12:53 am »
Johny, burn them onto CDs!  Don't let that happen again.  Of course I say this and I've been meaning to update my CD archive of my photos......now I've doomed myself  :shock:

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 10:17:17 am »
Hey Anne!
You dony know HOW MANY TIMES I've told my wife to do this!
She has tons more pics than me as she keeps everything, even the garbage pics. And every time I tell her I end the conversation with"And I need to do it too."
 We actually DO have some pics left........There are about 300 pics on the card in out coolpix camera!...Funny thing,...I keep telling her to get these out of the camera and she doesnt do it...Every time she takes another pic with this camera and puts it on the computer, she inadvertently puts ALL the pics into the computer..Over and over, time after time!
 Its just not the same as when we were younger..You took pics...got the film developed..got ALL the pics back(even the bad ones), then eithe stuck them in an album or in a nitestand drawer..You'd have so many paper pics that the drawers wouldnt close right!..The only way to lose pics then was a house fire!(Except for the ones you'd leave in the car, getting bent and crinkled under the seat).

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 10:28:55 am »
John, oh no!!!  That is the most horrible thing.  As I sat and read your post, I could totally feel how you must be feeling right now, and that ain't a good feeling, let me tell ya.  I know, I know, I am one to procrastinate too.  I have hundreds of pictures on my computer since my last backup and I need to do something soon, for fear of something messing up and losing everything.  Oh my heart goes out to you.

John, think about purchasing an external backup hard drive.  I know that it is a bit of money to spend, but should your computer crash again you can have a backup.  (man, I gotta do that tomorrow morning for sure).

Lucky Janelle has all the pictures still on the camera eh?  Sometimes things can work out for the good, you still have that happy go lucky attitude, and that will give you many extra years on this planet, because as well know, stress is that bad boy!!!!  Have the best of this wonderful day, keep that chin up, dude!!!!  Cindi

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 11:39:59 am »
Great pics John. Aren't they still on Imageshack? Won't be the original large size but still enjoyable. Good luck with your computer.

DennisB

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 03:20:18 pm »
Nice pictures, keep working at it! So many bees, so many pictures to take!!

If there is one thing that I don't like, it is the "sharpening" tool.  I find that it destroys the natural boundaries and transitions and makes things look a little bit artificial.  I've tried it numerous times on my bee pictures and I'm seldom happy with it.  Picassa makes it so simple to undo :).

That was my impression on the first picture and on the third picture.  I thought that the original full-size second picture looked most natural.

Rick
Rick

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 03:40:24 pm »
Me too Rick, I liked the second one better. I suppose that people(like me) go for the sharpening and other odds and ends as we try to make things better but more experienced people who have seen all the tools in action KNOW that when they view a "tampered with" photo it really NOT the ways it IS(You know what I mean??)
 For me, theres sooooo much stuff on a camera nowadays to figure out...Then, on top of that, theres the "Editors" to learn how to do.
 I havent re-installed my Photoshop...I might not if I can figure out Picassa..I mean, using it is easier for me than photoshop, but then again, I dont know how to use it for forums. For forums, I barely know how to do the imageshack...It takes me forever just to get pics on a post( 1 pic is easy, but more than one I have to go back and forth to imageshack from what I'm posting to get more than 1 pic in my post) When I see people here post pics, from where I sit it looks really easy...Is it just as time consuming for everybody to post several pics at one time in one post?

Dennis, I had only a few pics on imageshack, probably only pics I posted here.

your friend,
john

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 08:59:17 pm »
Beautiful picture!
Judy

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 11:05:17 am »
John, I know what you are saying about posting multiple images using Imageshack.  I can't figure out how to upload several at a time.  So I simply close imageshack each time I want to upload a new picture.  It gets pretty fast actually though, as I have the pictures already resized and in a folder which I call "forum pictures" and I just have to click on the photo, copy and past it into the browse window and then open imageshack and copy and past into the post, it is actually pretty fast.  Hope you can figure this thing out there, bro.  Have a beautiful day, in this great life. Cindi

anything