Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fumidil B  (Read 12349 times)

Offline To Bee Or Not To Bee

• New Bee
Fumidil B
« on: March 20, 2006, 11:09:11 pm »
Can someone tell me how much fumidil B do I use in 1 gallon of sugar water?
Thanks
John

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
Fumidil B
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 03:05:59 am »
Are you going to use Fumidil now, during spring? :(

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Fumidil B
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 04:07:05 am »
I suppose that 1 gallon this time of year is too much.  The advices how much you should use is with medicin.

• New Bee
Fumidil B
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 08:28:01 am »
I thought to be some to my bees befor the spring flow?  I have 2 hives and I was going to split the gallon between them.  Is it to late in the season to use fumidil :?:  I am a newbee and I got these hives from a genleman that passed away and I'm trying to bee good to them.
John

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Fumidil B
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 08:32:26 am »
I guess my question would be.... "What makes you think you need to treat with  fumidil ?"
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Fumidil B
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 09:51:28 am »
I can tell you how much *I* use, but that's probably not what you wanted to know.  :)

I don't use any.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Fumidil B
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 09:51:30 am »
Quote from: To Bee Or Not To Bee
I thought to be some to my bees befor the spring flow?  ....I'm trying to bee good to them.
John

I looked Oklahoma forecast and you have quite cold there.
http://www.wunderground.com/US/OK/Oklahoma_City.html

Do you have any flowers yet where bees get pollen? Have you willows in bloom?

• New Bee
Fumidil B
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 08:01:48 pm »
I read in a couple of places that you should medicate in the spring before the flow and in the fall and the bees are acting a bit slugish.

• New Bee
Fumidil B
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 08:09:44 pm »
The red buds, peaches and few other trees are in bloom howerver they are forcasting a hard freeze tonight.  All the blooms are about 2 to 3 weeks ahead.  In Oklahoma the bees seem to get pollen almost year round.

John

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
Fumidil B
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 02:39:01 am »
The instructions that come with Fumidil-B call for mixing 2 rounded teaspoons of Fumidil-B to 2 gallons sugar syrup for FALL feeding.  The instructions call for reducing the amount to 1 gallon of medicated syrup per colony for SPRING treatment.

• New Bee
Fumidil B
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 09:15:52 am »
Dick,
Thanks for the informatiom.  I caught a couple of swarms and I want to medicate them.  One came out of a beekeepers hive, and the other from a hollow tree.  I want to make sure they are in good health.  I am a newbee so I want to do it right.  
Also my wife is from Kenai.
Thanks again
John  :D

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
fumagilin B
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 06:53:39 pm »
John, I'm from the west coast and the book I'm using is particular to my province and quarantine area.  It says "to ensure against a nosema outbreak and queen problems, fumagillin should be fed in syrup to newly-hived packages...to control the disease, the colonies should be given fumagillin in the fall feed...control of nosema disease in the overwintering operation will take a minimum of two years of feeding medicated syrup in the fall to repress spring outbreaks."  The book also says "Nosema has been described as more economically damaging than all the other bee diseases common in North America put together".  I just fed my two hived packages 4.3 grams of fumagillin B in each frame feeder when I hived them out April 18th in British Columbia.  Our spring flowers are definitely budding out, dandilions, apple trees, cherries. But in this area the spring flow doesn't start for a few weeks, and even then i will be leaving the honey for the girls to keep.  I think its worth using fumagillin B in spring and sacrificing getting any honey from a spring flow for the long term benefit of your hives.  I don't know what diseases are in your area, but unless you live on a quarantined island its a possibility for infection.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: fumagilin B
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 02:12:20 am »
Quote from: BEE C
.  I just fed my two hived packages 4.3 grams of fumagillin B in each frame feeder when I hived them out April 18th in British Columbia.  Our spring flowers are definitely budding out, dandilions, apple trees, cherries. .

It was too late to give fumagillin. Your summer has begun. You have good situation because bees will draw combs in one week.

Take care that you do not feed them too much because syrup fills brood area. If bees get enough honey from nature, do not feed them.  Take care that bees have one full frame food for bad weathers.

Sometimes bees get very well honey when gardens are in full bloom.
Follow what bees do and learn..

• New Bee
Fumidil B
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 09:07:06 pm »
Thank you Bee C and Finsky for your input.  
      I was also told by and older beekeeper that is is important to give one feeding of  fumagillin to newly caught swarms.  I caught 7 swarms from around town in about 2 weeks so I have been asking alot of questions.
Thanks John

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Fumidil B
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 09:50:17 pm »
Quote from: To Bee Or Not To Bee
I was also told by and older beekeeper that is is important to give one feeding of  fumagillin to newly caught swarms.  

Nosema makes no harm during summer. Fumagillin is used to sterilize rectum backterium just before winter.

If you have so much swarm, put 8 lbs per hive (=2 deeps) and you will get normal yield from hive first year. Just put together swarms or hives. Let them first draw up foundations.

Fumagillin is not harmless because it is forbidden in some countries.