Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: In the clear?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline stanisr

• House Bee
In the clear?
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:41:04 pm »
Firsts 60 plus temps here in eastern Oklahoma today, so I walk through my yard to find one of my hives starved out within the last two weeks. The weather is supposed to remain above 60 for the next week. My other hives are very active bringing in a lot of pollen. My question is because they are bringing in pollen, are they in the clear as far as starvation is concerned? I understand that pollen is their primary protein source, so they should be able to store and then consume the pollen as they need it when we go below 50 degrees and they cluster again. Or do they need to store honey as well as pollen to survive.
Rick

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: In the clear?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:01:16 pm »
First, honey is their main food. Pollen is mostly for larva.

Second, Pollen coming in means they are adding mouths to feed every day. From now until bloom is when 90% of starvation happens. Get into them and check. If you have to feed, do it constantly until bloom. They can starve in 2 to 3 days if you quit feeding.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 08:07:55 pm »
I agree with idee.  I would only elaborate that you should feed until the bees have a frame or two of capped honey.  Then you can stop.  If they use that up and don't have two frames of capped honey, start feeding again until they do.  Bees starve in the spring more easily than the winter.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:25:53 pm »
I would have to agree also, and it would be really bad to get them this far and they starve now.  Good luck

Joe

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 11:08:12 am »
As Idee pointed out, pollen is for brood and brood eat a lot of pollen AND honey, so what it means is you have MORE mouths to feed, not less.  Adult bees can't live on pollen.  They live on honey.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything