Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SO WORRIED!  (Read 2601 times)

Offline atthelake22

• New Bee
  • Pausing to give thanks
SO WORRIED!
« on: June 02, 2006, 10:37:00 am »
:roll:  Okay, I am very worried because my neighbor who is about 100 yards away from me just used ROUNDUP on his honeysuckle and multiple rose bushes which are BOTH in full bloom.....What will this do to my honeybees. Although I specifically informed him of the honeybees present (as a courtesy) and asked him not to spray pesticides he used this this past weekend and now that honeysuckle is nothing but drooping dried up weeds (which is his yard and not my concern) MY ISSUE is this,
does it hurt my honey bees??? We just put on more supers for some were over half capped and I just worry that the roundup will hurt the honey and the bees......I mean they do pollinate these flowers and do visit them (or have in the past) and I just wondered WHAT if anyting will this do.
I do realize it is a herbicide not a pesticide but I don't want any chemicals around them. What should I do?? Should I be worried??? Please, ANY advice would be appreciated.  When I asked him about it he said he read that roundup doesn't harm bees... BUT he has NO experience with them whatsoever and I know the knowledge here on this forum will let me know if I need to do something or if it will harm my poor babies! ugh!
thanks in advance for your responses
Sincerely worried, Patty :cry:
"...so shines a good deed in a weary world" dahl

Offline mat

• House Bee
SO WORRIED!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 11:55:37 am »
Do not worry. My other crazy hobby is roses. I spray them every week. And my hives are fifty feet away. And they are doing fine (bees). I dont think roses are very attractive for them. I see them from time to time but it is not a great source of nectar.
mat

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
SO WORRIED!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 12:27:56 pm »
http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/us_ag/content/crop_pro/rounduppro/label.pdf

i didnt see anything about bees or insects on the label but i doubt that monsanto cares.

Offline FredBorn

• New Bee
roundup
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 01:02:25 pm »
Roundup is a herbicide not an insecticide.

Won't effect bees.

But are you sure thats what he used?  Roundup on Roses?!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
SO WORRIED!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 04:32:40 pm »
Roundup on Roses sounds like a CW song title.  
If he used roundup he can expect to loose his roses.  Maybe he was spraying for aphids and other symbiotic insects?  either way the loss shouldn't be enough to affect anything.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline atthelake22

• New Bee
  • Pausing to give thanks
Correction
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 10:19:14 pm »
:lol: Thank you guys so much!! NO, the guy used them on the multiple roses that grow in fields, he has cattle and goats and didn't want them taking over and he used them on honeysuckle too!! that is what worried me for I know the bees hit that honeysuckle hard....thank you for the help so much, I know it is a herbicide but didn't think it would be so good for the honey supers to have that anywhere near the honey we are going to spin and the bees are doing so well this year. Was just sooo worried and didn't know what to do. GLAD that is off my mind now...thank you guys so much. I love this forum, has helped me through many questions and tough times you guys are great! thanks again!!
Sincerely and God bless, Patty
"...so shines a good deed in a weary world" dahl

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
SO WORRIED!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 11:54:11 pm »
Unless he has a lot more luck than I do, I wouldn't worry too much. Wild roses and honeysuckle is hard to kill even with roundup. Besides, I dont think the bees can get anything from the honeysuckle or roses...
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com