Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building in an observation window.  (Read 2788 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
Building in an observation window.
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:50:10 am »
I am an amateur wood worker (I have built 2 so far and they work but are by no means perfect). The two I have built I used a router to create an inset on the inside of the hive, and then used self tapping sheet metal screws with flat tops to screw the plexiglass into the hive side. This works fine, however it creates a gap between the false backs and the observation window, enough so that bees can sequeak by. To solve that problem, I used some of the screen material and attached a small "puffy" section of it to the front side where the window is of the false back to the back side of the false back on the window side... Poor ASCII graphics:

/-|-------------------|
| |                           |
\-|-------------------|

So, it creates a wiper effect and the bees cannot pass. This works, but I don't like it. The |---------| is the false back looking from the top down on it. The /, | and \ characters make up the "screened wiper" I am speaking of.

What method do you use to put in the observation window? I have another one to build before Wednesday and would like to use a better method.

Thanks!
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline RyanB

• House Bee
Re: Building in an observation window.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:50:01 pm »
Use a router and set the depth for the same amount as your window. Then use a bit that put in a recess. Cut your plexi to fit i nthe recess and then hotglue it in.  Sits flush with the sidewall and follower boards have no problems.
Currently Fermenting:

Cherry Melomel - 1Gal
Pear Melomel - 1Gal
White Pyment - 1Gal
Root Beer Mead - 1Gal
Mead Cyser - 5Gal

Recently Finished:
Sack Mead - 1Gal, Very Good!
Braggot - 1Gal, Very popular!
Mead Cyser - 1Gal, Wifes Fav!
JAO - 1Gal, Nice, A bit too sweet.

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:57:02 am »
Hot glue is all that is required to hold it in place?

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 10:14:18 am »
I did same as what RyanB suggested.

With router, depth should be same as plexiglass thickness.

I used a waterproof sealer, I think the same used for aquariums, and just glued it in.

I also used glass, not plexiglass.  I was afraid of cutting/scratching the plexi when scraping off comb.

I don't know if hot glue would survive very long outdoors.

Offline mtbe

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:27:15 pm »
Also wanted to say that my follower board was to small for the interior, just a bit.  The bees can get through....but they don't. 

So I didn't build any screen to prevent them.