Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where you get your Bees? ** New Pictures Inside!!!  (Read 14402 times)

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Where you get your Bees? ** New Pictures Inside!!!
« on: March 31, 2005, 07:59:00 pm »
Hey guys iam new to the whole bee keeping scene.

This will be my first season with handling bees :). ( so iam open to taking any advice any suggestion i would really appreciate it.) But First.

I just ordered my First Basic Kit for bee keeping from this website: http://www.millerbeesupply.com/online_store.html  --- I got the Basic Beginners Kit.

Now iam looking to purchase bees ( probably 3 pounds 1 package with a Marked Queen).. I live in Bergen County , New Jersey if that helps :).

Please tell me where you guys purchased your bees this season, because iam ready to order my bees today and yet have found a place where they are not sold out or the place does not ship them ( for local pickup only )...

Thanx alot everyone for your help.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 08:35:05 pm »
By Monday I will have four or five hives for my first time beekeeping and I didn't purchase any of them. Just the work it takes to get them out of building walls or where ever they may be.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 12:15:39 am »
rossman apiaries 800-333-7677 they had some a while back. They do ship if you are not to far away. They are about the only ones that I know of.
good luck I like Jerry got two feral collines and am waiting to get one or two more. Plus I am getting two packages.

Brian

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 11:13:39 am »
Have you seen this site?

http://www.beesource.com/suppliers/usbees.htm

They list many many apiaries that sell bees around the US. They even list what kind of bees they have for sale - Italian, Buckfast, Russian, Caucasian, New & Old World Carniolan, and even Yugoslavian.

The companies that have a web site are linked there, and the ones that don't have web sites just list their address and phone number for contacting.

Beth

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 09:07:10 pm »
thanx alot guys i will be ordering my bees tomorrow, will call a couple of numbers and ask around.

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 10:30:24 pm »
Ok i ordered my bees from this website: http://www.buckeyebee.com/price.html

Cost me Total of $75 for 1 package of bees which will include 3 pounds of Italian Bees and 1 Queen. ( non marked :( )

Before ordering i asked the salesperson on the phone about the package and how they ship it, he explained that the bees will be at my house by friday, that the queen is in a separate cage, with a couple of worker bees.

Can some people tell me if they ordered the bees from that site before, tell me more about them , how was their experiance Buckeye Bee.

Now i have to find out how to properly install my new package of bees. Please provide me with a website where i can read the instructions, or give me your advice on how to do it.

I have a couple of questions.

1. If it rains, should i wait see if the weekend is better and do it while its sunny? I heard u have to do it later on the day right before sunset  ( so bees don't have to fly that day and get to know their queen)

2. I live in Bergen County New Jersey, should i be concerned about the laws here about bees? if they are any laws against bee keeping.

3. Where is the best place to put my hive, i have a long 6 foot fense on one side of my backyard ( i think its best if i put it on that side , please confirm my decision and why. )

Hopefully this week i can take pictures of my backyard and my beehive to show you guys what iam talkin about.

Thanx alot for the help.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 11:35:23 pm »
Check this out for installing;

http://www.beemaster.com/honeybee/install.htm
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 10:41:32 pm »
Ocean, have you considered www.betterbee.com in NY. I am new to beekeeping myself and I like dealing with them. I think its P/U only.

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 08:07:45 am »
I ordered from Buckeye last year and this year. They're kinda hard to get a hold of, but I think it's a family operation, so that's not too surprising.

He said his colonies are booming this year, so instead of me driving to Ohio to pick them up, he's shipping them a week early. That's good news--booming hives!

I got what I paid for last year (and I'll let you know about this year), so I'd say I'm happy with them.

By the way, the bees won't be delivered to your door. Your local postoffice will call you when they come in--probably at 7:59 am, if my PO is anything to judge by, and you'll pick them up.
Lesli

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 10:30:16 pm »
Thanx alot Leslie,

I ordered one package on monday, the salesman said they will ship it on wednsday, which they already did because i called them, and he said it should be here on friday, ( only thing is tomorrow is going to rain, :( and i will have to keep them indoors for now )

but first thing saturday mourning i'll do it i guess, or maybe when the sun is about to go down, since they say its the best time to do it.

Offline Butterchurn

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 10:38:31 am »
If it is sprinkling you can install packages in the rain.  If you hold them just brush or spray sugar syrup on the screen and feed them.  Keep in a cool dry place until you hive them.  Spray sugar syrup on package screen a couple of times a day.

Ron
Butterchurn (Ron)

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 09:15:15 pm »
Ok, so I installed my bees on Friday at around 5pm. I guess everything went well, but the only flaw that i had is when i was trying to get the cork out of the queens cage, i accidently pushed in , not out lol so i just left it there, but it was plenty of room for the drones to do their job.

Today after 4 days passed, my bees finished their syrup and i had to refill it. I was really happy because i guess their doing good since they are using the water. ( i still havent opened my hive for the first inspection )

I need a suggestion, when should i go in and check for my queen, see if she was released already and if the bees are drawing. Should i wait full 7  days , and do my first inspection on Friday, or perhaps since i messed up with the queen cage and the cork, should go in maybe wednsday?

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 12:49:10 pm »
The cork from the sugar candy end, I hope.  As long as the bees can get at it to eat the sugar and free the queen, you will be fine.  This should only take a day or so.    I wouldn't go back into the hive until 4 days after installing the queen.   I put the queen cage through the hole in the inner cover and that way, I can pull it out without opening up the entire hive to see if she has been freed.    

Also, if you see the bees coming back with pollen, that is another sign that there is brood being raised.  Broodless colonies consume less pollen.

the problem is that if there is only a few days that have passed, you will only be trying to see tiny little eggs to see if the queen is laying eggs, in a few more days the larvae will be out and growing and they will be easier to see.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 06:35:24 pm »
Thanx alot for the info, and yes today is the 4th day since i installed my bees, so i finally went in, and checked the queen cage, ITS EMPTY! :)

ive seen the bees already drew out couple of combs and still working on some....

here is my next question.. IN some holes i seen yellow stuff and the other i seen clear. iam guessing the yellow is the nectar, and clear is the sugar syrup that i provided them with?

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 08:01:36 pm »
the yellow is probably pollen, and the clear would be nectar or sugar syrup.

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 11:39:45 am »
GREAT NEWS!!!!!

today i woke up and checked on my bees and they are coming back with different colors of polen baskets on their feet, some come back with Bright ORange, some with Pure White, and Even Grey. I'm so happy for my bees that they are doing their job and can't wait to inspect them this weekend :).

I also noticed that they stop taking sugar syrup that i provided them with. I guess its a good sign, that the queen is laying eggs and colony is doing well.

Yesterday i ordered 2 supers, queen excluder, and many foundations :)

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 12:18:47 pm »
I wouldn't get in a big rush to put the excluder on.  Add the room as they need it, and let them expand as much as they can.  Get a little drawn comb in the bank.

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 01:42:50 pm »
I'm glad your bees are doing well. Mine, unfortunately, got lost in the mail. No kidding. 5 3lb packages lost between Ohio and NY. I am so bummed.
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 05:10:24 pm »
And you ask yourself, how in the world you loose that many bees? They are bees for crying out loud, sucks to hear that Lesli, hope they show up, bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 06:20:56 pm »
You know those tales of postal workers throwing bunches of mail into dumpsters?

anything