Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lifting Safety  (Read 5749 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Lifting Safety
« on: March 09, 2011, 05:30:21 pm »
I have seen quite a few vids on bee keeping and I find it odd that no one wears a lifting belt.  Is that because the industry is not regulated by OSHA laws yet?  Even if you are not regulated you would think that people would be concerned about not damaging their backs and learn the proper lifting techniques.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: Lifting Safety
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:12:56 pm »
Even if you are not regulated you would think that people would be concerned about not damaging their backs and learn the proper lifting techniques.

I'd say you might as well rank that up there with obesity, look how many fat people just keep eating !!

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:24:20 pm »
lifting belts are not protective.  they are designed to remind a person to keep proper alignment.  they are also designed to get people who think they do something, to spend money on them.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:33:56 pm »
Seriously?, "not regulated by OSHA laws yet?"  You've got to kidding right?  We're dealing with stinging insects that are occasionally responsible for a few deaths every year.  Have you ever dealt with OSHA?  I do, on a regular basis and not because anything we've done wrong where I work.  The last thing I want poking around beekeeping is OSHA.  They'd regulate it such that we'd all be gone in no time.  Those who are concerned about their back and proper lifting techniques may go and research it and wear back braces all day long.  We're all grown ups and shouldn't need OSHA regs for beekeeping.  

Heck, I shouldn't have even responded to this.  
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:09:55 pm »
lifting belts are not protective.  they are designed to remind a person to keep proper alignment.

Makes me think you don't know what they are.

look how many fat people just keep eating !!

Some of that has to do with what is in their food.  If they could break away from the processed food that they eat they would find it much easier to loose weight.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 07:28:01 pm »
Research will probably show that most problems with back pain etc. will be associated with long periods of sitting down, which reminds me I should be standing up at the computer.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:46:52 pm »
Makes me think you don't know what they are.

makes me think you have never done any weight lifting.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:11 pm »
Research will probably show that most problems with back pain etc. will be associated with long periods of sitting down, which reminds me I should be standing up at the computer.

Research will "probably" show....RUkidding?  My brothers and sisters at the VA muscle/skeletal clinic might disagree with that assumption.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:56 pm »
Good posture,a friend and one of these is a big help.
http://www.beekeepersfriend.com/2007/09/10/2-person-hive-lifter/

PS Acebird,you could put a sling on this and a cherry picker mounted on back of a truck.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-37555.html?utm_term=37555&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&mr:trackingCode=DC680F9E-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

Could be the cats meow for loading and unloading alone. :)

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 08:11:33 pm »
Seriously?, "not regulated by OSHA laws yet?"  You've got to kidding right?  We're dealing with stinging insects that are occasionally responsible for a few deaths every year.  Have you ever dealt with OSHA?  I do, on a regular basis and not because anything we've done wrong where I work.  The last thing I want poking around beekeeping is OSHA.  They'd regulate it such that we'd all be gone in no time.  Those who are concerned about their back and proper lifting techniques may go and research it and wear back braces all day long.  We're all grown ups and shouldn't need OSHA regs for beekeeping.  

Heck, I shouldn't have even responded to this.  
I'd believe that given the way OSHA approaches "logic" that an apiary, after conforming to numerous construction standards for hive stands and of course proper painting and maintenance; shall be required to be free and clear of stinging insects which would present a safety hazard to the apiary personnel.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:45:14 pm »
bend your knees  ;)

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 11:41:24 pm »
I know beekeepers who use support belts.

I also know beekeepers who are using truck mounted cranes, or using forklifts to move supers.

Has it ever occurred to you that the videos you are watching are staged, using empty boxes?  You don't need a belt for that...

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 01:03:05 am »
As I get to the silver,white ages, I use more of my mind and more machines.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 09:31:41 am »

Yeah, that is the latest propaganda for pushing Kaizen principals (lean manufacturing).  Make everyone stand up shoulder to shoulder on an assembly line.  The lean part is they make an IE time the line with a set of the best operators and then claim everyone is equal, so everyone has to now run at that pace.  It virtually wipes out the older generation and replaces them with younger workers (or refugees in the case of Utica, NY).  All you business people will love this concept.  Read up on it.  It will be good for your pockets in the short term.

All you factory workers take note.  It is also the first step in moving a factory off shore so in two to three years time even the younger workers will be replaced adding to the lazy slobs on unenjoyment that don't want to work.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 09:36:22 am »
Could be the cats meow for loading and unloading alone.

That's the idea.  Shees, $130 is hard to believe.  I don't think I could make it myself for that price.  All I got to do is add the wheels to make it a roll around cart for places where the pickup is not accessable.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 11:03:56 am »
Yeah, that is the latest propaganda for pushing Kaizen principals (lean manufacturing).  Make everyone stand up shoulder to shoulder on an assembly line.  The lean part is they make an IE time the line with a set of the best operators and then claim everyone is equal, so everyone has to now run at that pace.  It virtually wipes out the older generation and replaces them with younger workers (or refugees in the case of Utica, NY).  All you business people will love this concept.  Read up on it.  It will be good for your pockets in the short term.

All you factory workers take note.  It is also the first step in moving a factory off shore so in two to three years time even the younger workers will be replaced adding to the lazy slobs on unenjoyment that don't want to work.

Proof positive, give a fool enough rope and they'll eventually hang themselves.  Keep burning those bridges with your inflammatory posts, it only accelerates your departure.  Good riddance.  I own a manufacturing company and we have 75 to 100 employees here (depending on the time of year).  We've been around since '68 and have some great people who have been here for up to 30 years and your "All you factory workers", "propaganda for pushing Kaizen" workers unite garbage is exactly that!  You're knowledge of  manufacturing and actual market forces is a glittering jewel of colossal ignorance.   In a nutshell, companies move "off shore" to reduce costs because whatever product can be made elsewhere substantially cheaper.  Either they move or their competitor does it and puts them out of business.  Either way the cost savings tipping point has been reached and that US job is gone.  People claim they want to "Buy American" but as soon as they see the price they say, "oh, they're getting greedy" and then justify buying a lower cost import.  That's what the tipping point looks like.  It's the costs and regulations dumped upon manufacturers by OSHA, EPA, FICA, Medicaide, Medicare, and a whole bunch of other governmental programs (Obamacare too) that we pass to the consumer.  Until those costs are reduced you'll see few if any jobs coming back from overseas.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 11:27:03 am »
Thank you, D coates. I have been biting my tongue waiting to hear that door slam, as I can see it coming for a couple folks. I'm glad you put it in words.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 01:59:43 pm »
 :cheer:  Couldn't have said it better!   :pop:

And I thought this post was started about the fallacy of lifting belts.  They are not supportive at all.  They are simply a reminder to use proper lifting techniques.  Perhaps people should do proper research before posting.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 02:06:49 pm »
People claim they want to "Buy American" but as soon as they see the price they say, "oh, they're getting greedy" and then justify buying a lower cost import. 

Hmmm, now let me hear that again.  Who or what determines price?  The consumer each and every time.  If we would get to understand that you would quickly see that the only way to compete against lower labor costs in foreign countries is to automate.  That produces the types of jobs people in this country want requiring more skill and more pay.  But instead manufacturers take the easy way out, buy or hire off shore and then cry that there is nothing left here to support this country and the people that live here.  Machinery is too complicated.  You can't get more production by just beating on people like you do now.  In my book that is stupid.  The minute you make the decision to go off shore with your manufacturing you have given up.  You just lost control of your operation and eventually you will loose against the competition.  You are on their turf.  Watch and see what happens.

Keep burning those bridges with your inflammatory posts

I could be wrong but I think it is you with the inflammatory posts.  It is not the first time you have called me a derogatory name.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 02:20:14 pm »
They are not supportive at all.  They are simply a reminder to use proper lifting techniques.

Have you done your research?  Do they prevent back injuries?  Any warehouse operation that I have been in they are required equipment.  Smart people wear them.  Maybe they are not meant for some of you beeks.  They are like a seatbelt law.  A host of people die with those on. ;)
Brian Cardinal
Just do it