Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB Rmoval  (Read 14980 times)

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
SHB Rmoval
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:32:47 am »
 My hive is struggling. I moved them, all their comb collapsed, the started to rebuild, now the SHB are doing their thing. So, what is the best way to mechanically remove them?
 I am thinking that I will move the frames one at a time, checking-squashing any beetles I find, to an empty hive body. Then I would deal with the rest of the beetles left in the hive. I have heard of using a small vacuum, I already squash as many as I can. I have a lunch box trap but I need new bait.
 Do you guys have any good suggestions? I hate to be this invasive but there is no brood in the hive! The queen is laying, but the beetles are doing to much damage. :evil:

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Re: SHB Rmoval
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:34:20 pm »
JC, I have made comments about this in response to your other post in the SHB control. Accumulated Knowledge thread.

You sure are going to have to move quickly if you want to get control before your bees abscond..

Good luck with it and let us know how you go with it all

Mick

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 07:02:19 pm »
Unfortunately, I am unable to jump on it right away. I am visiting my mother in law until thursday. Otherwise I would just get after them. I need a quicker way to capture/kill the adults, they  move/fly away to fast to get them all with the hive tool. :-\

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 09:36:38 am »
JC I have heard anecdotal evidence that ground cinnamon spread over the ends of hives will deal with the beetle quite quickly but bear in mind it is just hearsay and until I can try it myself (my hives are under control and I dont want to let it get to desparation stage just to see if it works) I can't vouch for it. However if you try it and have success you  could post it here for everyone's advantage.

Mick

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 06:54:18 pm »
This is what I did and why:

I am a first year beekeeper.  I came to realize that I was not going to be able to rob my bees this year and although my hives were strong the SHB was all over the place.  Most likely because I had expanded my frames during a period of low nectar flow.  This made it hard for the bees to fill the frames.  I posted on here and got a wealth of information and as usual was all over the charts with lots of good ideas.

Because I was not going to rob my hive because of lack of honey reserves I went straight to chemicals. I made two different style traps both using roach killer paste.  It comes in a tube. The first traps I made from plastic corrigated board by cutting them into 2 inch by 4 inch strips.  Then I slit them down the middle half way through perpendicular to the corrugation and filling the middle with roach killer.  Closed it up and sealed it with duct tape only allowing access to the poison through the corrugation.  I put them in the corners on every level.

On the top of the hive I used a cd box.  Most come with four little slots big enough for the beetles to get in but not bees.  I swirled some roach killer in the center of the box and pplaced it on top of the inner cover.

Additionally I reduced the entrance and smashed as many of those little bastereds as I could.  The bees usually round them into the corners and if you are fast you can squish dozens of them per smash. From what I read the best defense is a healthy hive.  I also treated for mites with Apiguard and fed them.

There is a time and a place for everything.  This was the time for ME to resort to chemical warfare and not mess around with any hocus pocus and get to a solid swift solution.  I went out this weekend and I think I have the upper hand.  I know that chemicals are frowned upon but it's nothing compared to the frown I would have had if I had lost my hives and all that comb.

Looking forward to and building for NEXT year.

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 03:54:29 pm »
I took a different route. The electricity wasn't working, so I couldn't try the Beetle VAC out.
 I took every frame from the hive one at a time, killed all of the beetles that I could find. Then I put them in an empty box on a separate bottom (drip pan). I then proceded to kill every beetle that I could find with the almighty hive tool. When I got down to the slatted rack, I already suspected the beetles were hiding in the grooves, and there were lots of beetles in there. I set the rack aside, and went to battle with the beetles on the bottom board.
 I then started putting things back together except for the slatted rack. I left it out to reduce the hiding places. I also switched to a migratory cover with no inner cover.After all the frames were back in, I sprinkled ground cinnamon on the end bars and on the bottom board around the entrance.
 Once the hive was back together I turned my attention to the temporary box. It had about twenty beetles in it that got the hive tool. I really did check well, I guess they hide better. Then I went after the beetles on the slatted rack. The drip pan helped alot, the beetles would drop off into the pan and play dead, until I killed them. There were about one hundred beetles in the slatted rack.
 So, in conclusion, I killed about two hundred beetles :evil:, reduced the hiding space in my hive, and spread cinnamon in and around my hive. The good news is that they had about three full frames of brood that should be capped in the next few days. :) I will keep you posted.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:20:49 pm »
>JC I have heard anecdotal evidence that ground cinnamon spread over the ends of hives will deal with the beetle

Outside hive or end bars inside???
John 3:16

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 08:04:40 am »
There wasn't very much info, so I sprinkled some on the ends of the top bars inside and a little around the entrance on the outside. I have too many variables to tell if any one is effective. hopefully the bees will be able to strenthen up a bit.

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 03:32:51 pm »
This may be unrelated but,

since my hives have been treated for mites and SHB has been eradicated my bees have become extremely docile.  I went through every frame this weekend and did not get stung once.  Not even any close calls.

This may be my imagination but I think the parasites were making them cantankerous.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 11:06:32 pm »
I am kind of grumpy when I have ants in my pants. :evil:

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 08:25:11 pm »
After a week, the SHB are back, not as many, about half. So, my limited experience would say that cinnamon doesn't really work as a SHB repellant. My hive does have a nice honey-cinnamon smell. I will have to continue the battle. The good news is that I have five full frames of capped brood that will be hatching soon.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 07:45:57 am »
Good to know that the dreaded shb is under control even if its presence is not appreciated.

Perhaps the bees remove the cinnamon and that it has to be topped up fairly regularly

Mick

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 07:51:29 pm »
I checked on the girls today. Lots of new bees, alot less beetles. We only saw about 20 beetles and we killed about 10 of them. Still had about 5 frames of mixed brood so the queen is keeping up. Now we need to get them fat for winter. :)

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 07:46:46 am »
Just another update, the beetles still seem to be under control. Alot more bees, and there is still alot of brood. I didn't refill the feeder because the bees were putting syrup in the frames that need tol be filled with brood. I will rearrange some frames next time that I check them.

Offline Animator

• House Bee
    • Bee Nursery
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 07:29:47 pm »
I am going to try the corragated cardboard trick.  I'll let you know what happens.
Mike

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 12:46:05 pm »
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 03:42:46 pm »
look at these new traps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0mO-cYTZ58

Very interesting... what is the bait in the tube????

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 06:38:27 pm »
look at these new traps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0mO-cYTZ58

Very interesting... what is the bait in the tube????

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

I sent you a PM
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 10:51:49 pm »
Thanks TWT... got the PM but couldn't reply for some  reason. Gonna do some research...

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline JWPick

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 02:49:28 pm »
you might also check into Freeman Beetle trap, or something similar. A beek just around from me put these on his hives and trapped 134 beetles within a day. You can buy one or even make your own. I have even heard of using the "small roach" Roach motel. Good luck!

anything