Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Various pics from Amy  (Read 3069 times)

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Various pics from Amy
« on: November 24, 2006, 09:15:44 pm »
The puppy after eating a wad of bees.

Normally. . ..

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
Re: Various pics from Amy
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:25:13 pm »
Abby and her Brother Angus

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 11:35:43 pm »
Amy
Your poor puppy.  Man did it get a mouthful.  Do you know how many bees it ate.  Tell the story around the puppy and how it got such a swelling.   Animal stories are always fun.

I have a couple of funny ones with the bees.  We have 6 dogs on our property, (not all mine).  Now, our little old girl was up by the bees one day last summer.  I saw her start running like the blazes, looking behind her as she was running.  I ran after her to see what on earth was going on.  There was a bee on the top of her rump.  Of course I scratched it out.  She was pretty upset.  She doesn't go to close to the bee yard anymore.   We have an electric fence surrounding the bee yard.  Last summer my sister's male dog was nearby and I heard the biggest yelp I could ever imagine and this dog ran so fast away from the bees that I could not believe an animal could run that fast.  Obviously by the sound it had nudged the electric fence.  When this dog yelped, he sent all the others running for their life.  I am sure that they thought something horrible had happened to Draco.  So, anyways I think that Draco is kind of dumb.  A couple of weeks later, I was up at the house cooking supper.  I was looking out the back at the beeyard, did not see anything, but I heard Draco do the same enormous loud loud yelp, he has a really distinctive and annoying voice actually to begin with.  Then I saw him running like the wind.  A couple of the dogs saw him hightailing it across the driveway and they all began to run.  Oh these poor dogs.  That is not the end of it.  One day, they will all stay away from the beeyard electric fence.  Now Koby, the one that had the bee stuck on her rump one day must have overcome her fear of the burning sensation that attacked her while she near the beeyard.  She was moseying around the grass near the fence, now it is her turn to yelp, but she is rather a stubborn old pit bull (I love that breed by the way, they are one of the most wonderful family dogs that I have ever had a chance to know, and we have a couple and had a couple, too bad they have such a bad rap).  So when she got the electric fence, she just yelped a good one, but just kept on moseying around.  Man, these poor old dogs.  A few of them are black and black and white and I guess when the bees see this dark creature, they think enemy, and they don't particularly like them.  We have one dog that loves to go and eat the bees, never seems to get any swelling, but does like a taste now and then.  Bees, dogs and kids, enough stings around here that you just have to get a little kick out of and have a little laughter in our life.  Hope this brought some laughter to your day.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 07:55:54 am »
Our australian shephard has also eaten a few bees but fortunately without a reaction such as that!
She has yipped onco or twice but also needs to continue investigating. :)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 08:46:51 am »
When my one black lab was a puppy, she stepped on a bee and got stung out at the bee yard.  By the time we got home,  her face was so swollen, she looked like a shar pei.  A quick call to the vet and a benadryl later she was fine.  She must have outgrown it, because it only happened once.  Wish I had taken a picture, but I was so concerned at the time, I never thought about it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 09:13:23 am »
Well, here's what happened.  She's been stung before, and since then also, but never with that reaction.

I had stacked up my wet supers in the garden and of course with four hives it was like armageddon out there with all the bees flying all over the place.  While the dogs can't get to the supers themselves, there were plenty of bees flying around at dog eye level.

The dogs were running around in the back yard, and I went out to check on them.  Angus, the big one, was sitting on the deck giving me this look like, something not so good is happening.

I couldn't see the puppy so I gave a couple of whistles and she came tearing around from the side of the garden. I could see her swollen face from 25 yards away.

I can only assume that she snapped up a load of bees like she always does.  She never acted like it bothered her. She didn't have any breathing problems, and was having a good time chewing on her bone in the house.  She just looked like some kind of cartoon drawing.

Luckily, Angus only had to get stung once to learn to stay away from the big boxes in the backyard. The puppy is a rubberhead and always gets stung and is constantly snapping at the bees.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 09:24:35 am »
If there is one thing in life that makes me truly happy and always brings a smile to my face is our dogs.  Man they are fabulous creatures.  It does not matter how annoyed I can be at something or other, if my dog(s) come to me and look up at me, it takes me right out of that annoyed state and makes my life re-happifiy (ha, I don't think there is such a word).  They do the strangest things.  Each with their own personality. My dogs love to even eat dead bees.  When I cleaned the propolis off my frames and supers in our garage last week, there was quite a few dead bees that I had flung on the floor.  Ones that had been squished inbetween boxes, or on frames, you know the bees that met their maker rather early.  Well, this dog went in when I was stacking the supers and he ate them all up.  That was good, saved me having to pull out that horrible noisy shop vac.  That hurts my ears and I have to wear my husbands hearing protection when I use it.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service